Ford Mustang Review
The 2015 Ford Mustang ranks 1 out of 11 Affordable Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ford Mustang, as well as reliability and safety data.
Redesigned for 2015, the Ford Mustang is a thoroughly modern muscle car, with powerful engine options, agile handling and an upscale interior, reviewers say.
The 2015 Ford Mustang comes with a V6 engine. The new Mustang EcoBoost has a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that reviewers say feels very refined and produces strong acceleration around town. The V8-powered Mustang GT delights reviewers with its impressive power and easy road manners at low speeds. With any engine, a six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic is optional. Test drivers report that the manual transmission's clutch is light and the shifter has short throws. A V6-powered 2015 Mustang returns up to an EPA-estimated 19/28 mpg city/highway, which is on par with the ratings of other V6-powered muscle cars. Reviewers write that the redesigned Mustang has predictable, agile handling and stays composed over bumpy roads. They like its communicative steering and say the available Brembo brakes are very strong, though a bit touchy.
Test drivers like the redesigned 2015 Mustang's premium cabin materials, handsome design and handful of tasteful retro touches. They note that both the base front seats and optional Recaro sport seats are very comfortable. Reviewers say the back seat is cramped and uncomfortable for adults. The Mustang Fastback has 13.5 cubic feet of trunk space, which is a decent amount for the class. Standard features in the 2015 Mustang include a rearview camera, proximity key, Bluetooth, two USB ports and Ford's voice-controlled SYNC system. Adaptive cruise control, Ford's MyFord Touch infotainment system, dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation and a 12-speaker Shaker audio system are optional. Critics comment that MyFord Touch complicates some audio functions, and they would prefer a knob rather than a button to control the climate system's fan speed.
- "With the arrival of the 2015 Mustang, Ford has successfully reinvented an icon. … Yet for all its updating, the Mustang coupe and convertible retain the power, value and dashing driving manners that have fostered 9-million-plus sales over half a century and countless more fans." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "For the money, in the segment, nothing can touch it. Not even excuses. Finally." -- Autoblog
- "Essentially an all-new car, the 2015 Ford Mustang has been refined and modernized like no Mustang to come before it." -- Edmunds
- "Large doses of maturity and refinement have entered the equation, sure, but they make for an improved and more well-rounded whole. The 2015 Mustang handles better, it's easier to live with, and it acts like a more expensive car." -- Car and Driver
- "It's not just a niche car for Ford but instead a flagship of smart engineering, cost-effective technology, and unapologetic ambition. The 2015 Ford Mustang has moved beyond being just fun. Now it wants to be great." -- Automobile Magazine
Other Cars to Consider
The Dodge Challenger delivers strong acceleration with any of its available V8 engines, according to reviewers, especially the 707-horsepower Challenger SRT Hellcat. Test drivers note that the Challenger has the most adult-friendly back seat in the segment, and it has more trunk space than the Mustang.
According to test drivers, the Chevrolet Camaro is an impressive handler and has a range of incredibly powerful engines. Critics enjoy the V8 models' delightful exhaust notes and are pleased with how easy it is to live with the high-performance Camaro ZL1 on a daily basis.
Details: 2015 Ford Mustang
The Ford Mustang is fully redesigned for 2015 and is available in Fastback (coupe) and Convertible models. It has rear-wheel drive and comes standard with a 3.7-liter V6 engine. The Mustang EcoBoost has a turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine and the Mustang GT has a 5.0-liter V8 engine. A six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission are available with any engine. V6 models are offered in one trim, while EcoBoost and GT models are available in either base or Premium trims.
Next Steps: Ford Mustang
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ford Mustang
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ford Mustang
- Search used Ford Mustang for sale (15,947 listings)
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings