Ford Mustang Interior
Though critics love the retro style of the Mustang's interior cabin, many complain that it's composed of sub-par materials and features a cramped backseat. Still, critics appreciate its sizeable trunk.
- "Inside, the Mustang features a handsome retro-styled interior that recalls the Mustangs of the 1960s. In base versions, the monochromatic interior can seem a bit dour, but an available Premium package spices up the interior with aluminum trim, special interior lighting, and multicolored accents." -- Car and Driver
- "[T]he interior is stellar, with a real cockpit feel, full of wonderfully varied textures and shapes. The swoopy A-pillars and the wide, wide dash are pieces of retro fun." -- AutoWeek
- "Though fit and finish are generally good, the interior has an abundance of hard, monotone plastics that would be disappointing at any price point." -- Edmunds
- "A few less hard-edge plastic surfaces would go a long way to turning a good interior into one that's great." -- Kelley Blue Book
Critics agree the Mustang's four-passenger cabin affords good head and legroom up front, but its seats could be more supportive. The back seat, however, is cramped.
- "Good head and leg room, but the cabin feels cozy due to low seats, a high dashtop, and tall windowsills. The seats are comfortable with a nicely contoured backrest, though knees collide easily with hard door panels and the center console. ... [The backseat is] inhospitable for adults with little room, an uncomfortable seat, and back-straining entry/exit." -- Consumer Guide
- "For longer drives, the seats are accommodating, but could use more lumbar support." -- Road & Travel Magazine
- "Although the 2008 Ford Mustang is noticeably larger than the previous generation, it still lacks much of the practicality -- like a roomy rear seat -- some people may need." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "[T]ruth be told, even with the additional 0.4 inch of legroom in the back seat, the rear seat isn't a very comfortable ride for adults. There's a closed-in feeling back there because of the sloping roofline, the smallish, triangle-sized rear windows and the thick window pillars at the back." -- MSN
- "The back seat is cramped..." -- Detroit News
Despite some minor ergonomic concerns, auto writers are generally pleased with the Mustang's retro-styled interior features -- especially its color-changing illumination system.
- "With its dual-hooded dash, three-spoke steering wheel and old-school gauges, the cabin of the 2008 Mustang gives more than a nod to the past. Yet this is not an outdated, ergonomic mess -- controls are simple..." -- Edmunds
- "A steering wheel with three metal-look spokes teams up with a speedometer and tachometer that rest deep in their own chrome-ringed wells to deliver a driver's-seat view as retro as any. On the flip side, this throwback's instrument panel features a modern illumination system, color-configurable with 125 different lighting combinations." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Mustang's main gauges are located in chrome-ringed tunnels that can render them hard to read by day. Manual shifting is awkward when the console cupholders are in use. The transmission shifter interferes with the climate controls as well." -- Consumer Guide
- "The [Bullitt's] clean lines and comfortable charcoal black leather seats add sophistication without being flashy." -- Detroit News
While the 2009 Mustang coupe affords 13.1 cubic feet of cargo space, the convertible offers 9.7 cubic feet. Though this is impressive, critics still complain that the trunk's design makes loading cargo difficult.
- "[E]ven without folding the back seat, the Mustang's trunk is as large as those in some more overtly practical sedans." -- Automotive.com
- "Coupe cargo space is good for the class. Trunklids open wide on nonintruding hinges, but the size and shape of the opening makes loading even moderately sized cargo a challenge." -- Consumer Guide
- "Cupholder lights are an unnecessary but nice touch." -- AutoWeek
Next Steps: Ford Mustang
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Ford Mustang for sale (10,366 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Ford Mustang
- View Ford Mustang Photos
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings