Ford Mustang Interior
While reviewers appreciate the 2014 Ford Mustang’s supportive front seats, many note that the Mustang’s interior is starting to look outdated. Additionally, some write that the Mustang’s cabin uses too many cheap materials, and that available tech features like Ford’s voice-activated SYNC system can be difficult to use.
- "The interior isn't so great materials-wise, though build quality feels OK." -- AutoWeek
- "The interior wouldn't pass muster in any other $37,000 car; it's a study in black plastic." -- Jean Knows Cars
- "The 2014 Ford Mustang's cabin is cozy and comfortable for a performance car." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Outside of the great seats, this interior is starting to feel pretty dated." -- Autoblog
The 2014 Mustang seats four and comes with cloth upholstery. Leather seats, heated front seats, a power-adjustable driver’s seat and Recaro sport seats are available. Reviewers really like the available Recaro seats, which provide plenty of comfort and support, but some say that even the base seats have plenty of bolstering. A few auto writers note that like most sports cars, the Mustang’s back seat doesn’t provide much usable passenger space.
- "I find getting in and out of Mustangs (and Chevrolet Camaros and Dodge Challengers) a pain, I have a hard time getting comfortable once inside and I hate rock-hard arm rests." -- AutoWeek
- "Like most small sports cars, the Mustang GT is far from practical. It has a rear seat, but it's really more of a luggage rack than anything else." -- Jean Knows Cars
- "Recaro racing-style seats are available, but even the standard front seats are nicely supportive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Our test car had optional Recaro front seats, which are among the most comfortable and snug bucket seats we have ever sat in." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
The 2014 Ford Mustang comes with a stereo with a CD player and auxiliary input, as well as Ford’s MyKey system, which lets parents limit the Mustang’s top speed and stereo volume to help encourage smart driving habits for younger drivers. Options and features available on higher trims include an upgraded stereo system, Bluetooth, a USB port, navigation, dual-zone automatic climate control, a backup camera and Ford’s voice-activated SYNC system, which can be used to control a compatible smartphone and access smartphone apps like Pandora and iHeartRadio.
While a few reviewers note that the 2014 Mustang has user-friendly controls, others think that the Mustang’s audio system looks dated, and that the available SYNC system is difficult to control using the stereo’s buttons. Some also note that SYNC doesn’t respond particularly well to voice commands. Some critics point out that the transmission shifter can block access to the Mustang’s climate controls.
- "The radio and CD player look like something straight out of 2005. That might be a blessing in disguise, though: Ford's MyFord Touch infotainment system has endured tough criticism since its introduction in 2011." -- Jean Knows Cars
- "Controls are logically arrayed and easy to use." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Accessing SYNC via the standard radio's buttons and knobs is an atrocious way to navigate your digitally stored music, and the voice commands feel utterly unwieldy compared to newer systems like Cadillac CUE." -- Autoblog
- "With either transmission, the shifter can interfere with the low-mounted climate controls." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The 2014 Ford Mustang has more trunk space than most affordable sports cars. There’s 13.4 cubic feet of trunk space in the coupe, while convertibles offer 9.6 cubic feet for cargo. If you need more space, check out the Dodge Challenger, which has 16.2 cubic feet of space. While most reviewers are pleased with the Mustang’s trunk space, one reviewer notes that the Mustang’s cabin is short on small-item storage.
- "Cabin storage is sparse." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Trunk space is a generous 13.4 cubic feet, beating the Camaro and both Japanese cars." -- Cars.com (2013)
Next Steps: Ford Mustang
- View the best prices for the 2014 Ford Mustang
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Ford Mustang
- Search used Ford Mustang for sale (10,316 listings)
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings