2012 Ford Super Duty
- Used Ford Super Duty
2012 Ford Super Duty Review
Test drivers agree that the 2012 Ford Super Duty is one of the best heavy-duty pickup truck in its fiercely competitive class.
The small group of shoppers who need supremely-able trucks know that things like towing capacity and torque are some of the most important elements in a heavy-duty pickup. Reviewers say that not only do the Ford Super Duty trucks have the best capabilities in their class, but they have the nicest cabins as well.
If you need a truck that can earn its keep, you should know that the Ford Super Duty F-450 can tow more than any other heavy-duty truck on the market. The Chevrolet Silverado HD can haul a slightly heavier payload in the bed, but the difference between the two is only about 100 pounds.
Reviewers love the Ford Super Duty’s innovative Work Solutions system, which lets owners track tools, print invoices and manage other trucks in their fleet from an in-dash computer. Test drivers report the Super Duty’s interior looks a bit more dated than more recently updated rivals like the Ram Heavy Duty, but they say that the Super Duty’s features remain easy to use and the seats are still especially comfortable.
If you don’t need the outsized towing and hauling abilities that the Super Duty provides, you’ll be far better off with a full-size pickup like a Ford F-150, which is easier to drive around and gets better gas mileage. Smaller pickups are better off-road, too. But if you need class-leading capability wrapped in a functional, easy-to-use and luxurious package, look no further than the 2012 Ford Super Duty.
Other Trucks to Consider
For an even more luxurious interior to go with your hard-working truck, check out the Ram Heavy Duty in the Laramie Longhorn trim. It’s only available as a crew cab, so its towing and hauling capacity is a bit less than extended-cab trims, but reviewers say its interior is the nicest in any heavy-duty pickup. Plus, though the Ram’s diesel engine doesn’t make as much power as the Ford Super Duty’s does, it makes just as much torque.
The GMC Sierra HD and Chevrolet Silverado HD siblings are also plenty capable, though the Sierra HD’s Denali trim isn’t quite as nice as the Ford King Ranch or the Ram Laramie Longhorn. Test drivers note, though, that in this class, brand loyalties run deep and the difference in performance can be negligible between any two models. So, if you’re more of a Chevy or a Dodge person than a Ford fan, reviewers say you’ll probably be happy with whatever truck you decide on.
The Ford Super Duty trucks are available as Regular, Super or Crew cabs, in F-250, F-350 and F-450 configurations. Each model is available in XL, XLT, Lariat and King Ranch trims. The F-450 is only available as a 4x4 Crew Cab with a long bed and dual rear wheels. The F-250 and F-350 are both available with either gas or diesel engines, two- or four-wheel drive, a short or long bed and any of the available cab configurations. Both come with single rear wheels, though duallies are available on the F-350.
See the full list of 2012 Ford Super Duty specifications.
- "Bottom line: We think quite highly of the 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty and strongly recommend it.” -- Edmunds
- "All the big HD trucks can tow and haul heavy loads, and the Super Duty is no exception. But, beyond its workhorse credentials the 2012 Ford Super Duty offers an impressive array of comfort and technology features aimed at maximizing efficiency on the open road and at the job site.” -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Ford sells more Super Duty trucks than any competitor's sales, and after a day trying out all manner of these heavy haulers, we can see why.” -- AutoWeek
- “At this moment, there's no doubt that Ford has once again raised the bar to new levels of performance and productivity for heavy-duty pickups. The Super Duty continues to be the standard against which its competition will be measured. Read on and find out why.” -- PickupTrucks.com
- "These Fords have all the power, toughness, and comfort to satisfy big-truck users. The top-end Lariat and King Ranch models offer an interesting blend of luxury and ruggedness, but they can get extremely pricey. A variety of chassis, cab, and powertrain configurations insures buyers will find a version to suit their needs.” -- Consumer Guide
Next Steps: Ford Super Duty
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Ford Super Duty
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Ford Super Duty for sale (61 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Ford Super Duty
- See what others paid for the 2012 Ford Super Duty
- View Ford Super Duty Photos
- See Heavy Duty Pickup Trucks rankings