GMC Acadia Review
The 2013 GMC Acadia ranks 11 out of 21 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 78 published reviews and test drives of the GMC Acadia, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 GMC Acadia is ranked:
The 2013 GMC Acadia is well-liked by auto critics because of its capable performance, bold styling, standard features and cargo space, but can’t quite measure up to competing midsize SUVs’ reliability ratings or interior comfort.
All 2013 Acadia models are powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. Reviewers say the engine provides adequate power, but could use more when carrying a full load. The Acadia can be equipped with either front- or all-wheel drive on all trims. The midsize crossover has a comfortable, controlled ride, according to test drivers, but is far from sporty. The Acadia gets good fuel economy for the class and is rated at up to 17/24 mpg city/highway. The Acadia also stands out with above-average safety scores for the class, however its reliability score is below the class average.
The Acadia offers seating for up to eight in a comfortable cabin. Reviewers love the cavernous cargo space, and think the Acadia’s seating is comfortable in all three rows, even for adults. Test drivers feel that interior quality is on par for the class, but a few say that given the Acadia's high price, fit and finish could be better. The base trim comes with a rearview camera, satellite radio and rear parking sensors. Optional features include a navigation system, a sunroof and a rear DVD entertainment system. Reviewers say that rear visibility might be an issue, but the Acadia does come with a rearview camera, which may help.
- "Though not radically different than before, the 2013 GMC Acadia should continue to deliver a winning combination of comfort, features, cargo space and performance in a utility-style package." -- Edmunds
- "Placed against such competitors as the Honda Pilot and Ford Flex, the Acadia fares well, offering a huge cargo hold, an adult-friendly 3rd-row seat and a plush interior adorned with handsome materials and first-rate built quality." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "To start, it's a three-row SUV that can realistically transport seven passengers. Eight seats are optional. If you're a family that shuns the minivan, the Acadia is a more than qualified stand-in, too." -- Cars.com (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
If the Acadia is a bit too pricey, you can get comparable fuel economy, cargo space and safety scores from the less expensive Chevrolet Traverse, which is closely related to the Acadia. While the Traverse’s interior reflects its price point with some cheaper materials, reviewers praise its spacious and inviting cabin. Test drivers have more positive things to say about its performance as well.
The Mazda CX-9 is a family hauler with performance that's a bit sportier than rival crossovers. If you’re willing to sacrifice some of the Acadia’s cargo space, critics say the CX-9 has the utility of an SUV, but is much more fun to drive. The CX-9 has comparable fuel economy ratings with the Acadia, but has lower safety scores.
Details: 2013 GMC Acadia
The Acadia comes in three trims: SLE, SLT and Denali. A V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard across the lineup. All trims are available with either front- or all-wheel drive. The base Acadia comes equipped with a rearview camera, a USB port and a six-speaker audio system, while the range-topping Denali includes tri-zone automatic climate control, a head-up display and perforated leather seats. For 2013, the Acadia has a refreshed exterior and interior and has an optional IntelliLink infotainment system, but not much else has changed. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2007 to 2013 model years.
Next Steps: GMC Acadia
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the GMC Acadia
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used GMC Acadia for sale (5,353 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the GMC Acadia
- See what others paid for the 2013 GMC Acadia
- View GMC Acadia Photos
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings