GMC Canyon Review
The 2015 GMC Canyon ranks 2 out of 4 Compact Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the GMC Canyon, as well as reliability and safety data.
Auto journalists agree that the 2015 GMC Canyon has a balanced, quiet ride and one of the most opulent interiors in the class.
The 2015 GMC Canyon comes standard with a four-cylinder engine or an optional V6 engine. Reviewers write that the base engine feels sufficiently strong for everyday driving and that V6 models have ample power for towing and hauling. An automatic transmission is offered with either engine, and four-cylinder models are also available with a manual transmission. A V6-powered Canyon has an EPA fuel economy rating of 18/26 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Test drivers say the automatic shifts smoothly, but note that it sometimes hunts for the right gear, especially on hills. Auto journalists agree that the Canyon rides comfortably, especially for a compact trunk.
Reviewers say that the 2015 GMC Canyon has a modern, handsome cabin design and upscale materials. Test drivers find the front seats supportive and remark that the cabin is very quiet at speed. The extended cab's rear seats aren't comfortable for adults, reviewers say, though this is typical for the class. However, they agree that the crew cab has ample back-seat space for adults. The Canyon comes standard with a rearview camera and a USB connection. Optional features include GMC's IntelliLink infotainment system, navigation, Bluetooth, a seven-speaker Bose audio system, lane departure warning and forward collision alert. Some test drivers remark that IntelliLink is intuitive and the system’s controls are easy to reach, but others note that it takes multiple steps to access some audio functions.
- "GM says the Canyon is the 'premium truck in the segment,' which, given its distinct lack of competitors, is a bit like saying that Google is a popular search engine. Still, the brand has come to the table with a convincing package that hits all the right marks for a truck in an easy-to-manage package." -- Car and Driver
- "The 2015 has been enlarged to the point where it now measures up well against its chief competition, the Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. Combined with a more refined interior and the latest technology, it's now the most advanced midsize pickup you can buy." -- Edmunds
- "After spending quality time in the new Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon (as well as their competition) it was obvious GM has set a new benchmark in the midsize truck category. Nissan's Frontier and Toyota's Tacoma will both receive updates in the next two years, but until then GM's offerings have a clear advantage." -- Forbes
- "With a premium look and feel, and the ability to option in to a very large number of bells and whistles, GMC really is breaking new ground for a truck segment that has mostly existed for value shoppers, thus far." -- Autoblog
GMC Canyon Pictures & Videos
Other Trucks to Consider
According to test drivers, the Nissan Frontier has strong acceleration and ample passing power with its available V6 engine. Link the Canyon, the Nissan Frontier is available in extended and crew cab body styles, but it has a lower starting price.
Reviewers like the Honda Ridgeline's versatile cargo hauling features such as a lockable in-bed trunk and tailgate that can be lowered or opened to one side. They're also pleased with its comfortable ride and car-like handling.
Details: 2015 GMC Canyon
The 2015 GMC Canyon is reintroduced for the 2015 model year after having been discontinued after the 2012 model year, and is available as a four-seat extended cab or five-seat crew cab. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is standard and a 3.6-liter V6 is optional. Four-cylinder models are available with either a six-speed automatic or manual transmission, while V6 models only come with the automatic. There are three trims: base, SLE and SLT.
Next Steps: GMC Canyon
- View the best prices for the 2015 GMC Canyon
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 GMC Canyon
- Search used GMC Canyon for sale (776 listings)
- See Compact Pickup Trucks rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals