2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid Interior
This interior review was created when the car was new. Some links may no longer point to an active page.
Test drivers say the GMC Sierra Hybrid’s interior is high-quality and that its controls are easy to use. Plus, the back seat is comfortable, even for three adults. However, they note that there isn’t as much small-item storage as other pickups have. Reviewers’ biggest complaint is that the Sierra 1500 Hybrid doesn’t come with nearly as many standard features as other trucks in its price range.
- "The interior is sized like American sedans of yore - it's Texas and Alaska in a world crammed full of Rhode Island and Delaware cars.” -- HybridCars.com
- "Highs: Spacious interior.” -- Car and Driver
- “Sierra Hybrid’s interior materials are on-par with other large-pickup rivals, even though most surfaces are hard plastic.” -- Consumer Guide
The Sierra Hybrid has room for either five or six people, since it is only available as a crew cab. The standard 3HA trim can seat six with front and rear split bench seats, while the higher 3HB trim adds leather-trimmed front buckets, for a seating capacity of five.
Reviewers don’t say much about the seating except that the crew cab is roomy and comfortable. GMC uses the same seats in the Sierra Hybrid and the Sierra 1500, so if you’re looking for more information about the hybrid’s seating, take a look at our gas-only GMC Sierra 1500 review.
- “Ample room for adults. Both the bucket and bench seats lack side support in fast turns but are firm and comfortable.” -- Consumer Guide (front seats)
- "The rear seat is roomy and comfortable, though the seatback angle is a bit upright." -- Edmunds
- "Regardless of model choices, this is a crew cab and there's enough head, should and leg room that even with six people there's a feeling of spaciousness.” -- HybridCars.com
Although most reviewers acknowledge that the Sierra Hybrid’s interior is easy to use, several complain about the quality of the materials and dashboard appearance. Some reviewers expected a more upscale interior to match the Sierra Hybrid’s high price tag. While the upper 3HB trim is very well-equipped for a pickup truck, the base Sierra Hybrid 3HA doesn’t come with as many interior features as most reviewers expect from such an expensive truck.
The base Sierra Hybrid has standard Bluetooth phone connectivity, a tilt-adjustable, leather-wrapped steering wheel, dual-zone automatic climate control and cruise control. Upgrading to the Sierra Hybrid 3HB gets you a standard auto-dimming rearview mirror, a Bose premium sound system, navigation and a rear-window defogger.
- "The dashboard is simple with large controls - from the door handles to the radio and climate control knobs, most can be operated wearing work gloves. It's a basic design, but logical and pleasant.” -- HybridCars.com
- "Inside, the … GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid is all work truck. Black plastic trim and functional, rudimentary switchgear rule out any pretensions. Still, for the hybrid price premium, we'd like the classy Silverado LTZ dash finery as an option.” -- Edmunds
Automakers don’t generally release the cargo capacities of their truck cabins, but it stands to reason that if you plan to carry a lot of gear with you inside the cab, the Sierra Hybrid is a good choice, since it only comes as a crew cab model. Keep in mind that it only comes with a short bed, so the hauling capacity is less than that of the gas-only Sierra, which offers longer beds.
Test drivers note that apart from a roomy center console, there aren’t many storage cubbies for small items. Reviewers mention that Sierra Hybrid buyers have to make a small compromise in cargo space, due to the short bed and battery pack that sits under the rear seat. Although the rear seat flips up as in most trucks, the battery pack prevents the hybrid from having a flat floor like the conventional 1500.
- “The rear-seat cushion flips back against the seat back, leaving a large cargo area with a nearly flat floor. In front, the bucket seats come with a roomy console bin, while the bench seat is available with a flip-down center armrest that doubles as a large storage bin. Otherwise, there are few other interior storage cubbies.” – Consumer Guide
- "While the cushion portion of the rear seat hinges up, the space available for cargo in the back of the crew cab is diminished by the battery pack." -- Automobile Magazine