GMC Sierra 1500 Review
The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 ranks 4 out of 6 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the GMC Sierra 1500, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers like the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500’s first-rate cabin materials, responsive steering and hushed ride.
The base V6 engine in the 2015 Sierra 1500 delivers good power so long as your plans don’t include a lot of heavy towing or hauling, test drivers write. They add that the optional 5.3-liter V8 has generous power, and a 6.2-liter V8 engine is also available. Reviewers say a smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission is paired to the V6 and 5.3-liter V8 engines. The 6.2-liter V8 comes with an eight-speed automatic transmission. At up to an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway, the 2015 Sierra 1500's fuel economy is on par for the class. While a few critics say its ride can't quite match the car-like suppleness of the Ram 1500's ride, most reviewers agree that the GMC Sierra rides comfortably and has controlled handling. They also note that it has strong brakes and responsive steering.
The cabin is constructed with premium materials, especially in the top Denali trim, and provides a quiet environment when the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 is at speed, reviewers say. They appreciate the roomy and comfortable front seats, as well as the rear bumper's built-in step that makes climbing into the bed easier. The Sierra comes standard with two USB ports, an auxiliary input jack and an audio system with a 4.2-inch display screen. Options include a rearview camera, a seven-speaker Bose audio system, Bluetooth, navigation, front and rear park assist, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, GMC's IntelliLink infotainment system with either a 4.2-inch display or 8-inch touch screen, OnStar with 4G LTE and Wi-Fi hot spot and a Safety Alert Seat, which vibrates to notify the driver of potential hazards in the truck's path. IntelliLink responds quickly to inputs and you don't have to take your eyes too far off the road to see the screen, reviewers say. However, a few critics mention that the display for the rearview camera is blurry, which can make it tricky to align a trailer hitch with the trailer.
- "Although it shares much of its chassis and mechanicals with the Chevrolet Silverado, GMC stamps its own upscale brand on the Sierra, giving it the feel of a work truck for the boss rather than the crew." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But drivers who use the pickup for demanding work purposes shouldn't fear the updates, as the latest Sierra is still just as capable as it's ever been." -- AutoTrader
- "Like the nearly identical Chevrolet Silverado, the Sierra is a capable, refined truck offering an impressive array of features." -- Consumer Guide
- "A wide range of body styles, capable performance and a fuel-efficient V8 should make the 2014 GMC Sierra an accomplished contender in the full-size pickup segment." -- Edmunds (2014)
GMC Sierra 1500 Pictures & Videos
Other Trucks to Consider
Test drivers say the Ram 1500 has the most comfortable ride in the class, and they appreciate that its available air-adjustable suspension helps keep the truck level even when towing or hauling heavy loads. With its class-exclusive diesel engine option, the Ram 1500 gets excellent fuel economy for the class.
According to reviewers, the Ford F-150's two optional turbocharged V6 engines deliver ample power in any situation. They like the F-150's spacious cabin and say it has poised handling.
Details: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 is available in a three-seat Regular Cab configuration or Double and Crew Cab configurations, which both seat up to six. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. A 4.3-liter V6 engine is standard, while 5.3- and 6.2-liter V8s are optional. A six-speed automatic comes with the V6 and smaller V8, while the larger V8 has an eight-speed automatic. The Sierra comes in four trims: base, SLE, SLT and Denali. The Sierra 1500 was fully redesigned for 2014 and sees few major changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Research Prices: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
Over 50,000 car shoppers have purchased a car through the U.S. News Best Price Program. Our pricing beat the national average 86% of the time with shoppers receiving average savings of $3,221 off MSRP across vehicles. See what others paid for the GMC Sierra 1500 and get upfront pricing to make sure you don't overpay. Learn More »
Next Steps: GMC Sierra 1500
- View the best prices for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
- Search used GMC Sierra 1500 for sale (15,320 listings)
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals