GMC Sierra 1500 Review
The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 ranks 3 out of 6 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the GMC Sierra 1500, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 has high-quality interior materials, responsive steering and a quiet ride, reviewers say.
According to test drivers, the 2015 Sierra 1500's base V6 provides sufficient thrust if you don't plan to do a lot of heavy towing or hauling, and they say the optional 5.3-liter V8 has ample power. A larger 6.2-liter V8 is also optional. The V6 and 5.3-liter V8 have a six-speed automatic transmission that reviewers say shifts smoothly. The larger V8 is paired with an eight-speed automatic. At up to an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway, the 2015 Sierra 1500's fuel economy is on par for the class. While a few critics say its ride can't quite match the car-like suppleness of the Ram 1500's ride, most reviewers agree that the GMC Sierra rides comfortably and has controlled handling. They also note that it has strong brakes and responsive steering.
The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500's cabin is hushed at speed and is built with high-quality materials, especially in the top Denali trim, reviewers note. They find the front seats spacious and comfortable, and say the built-in step in the corner of the rear bumper is helpful for climbing into the bed. The Sierra comes standard with two USB ports, an auxiliary input jack and an audio system with a 4.2-inch display screen. Options include a rearview camera, a seven-speaker Bose audio system, Bluetooth, navigation, front and rear park assist, forward collision alert, lane departure warning, GMC's IntelliLink infotainment system with either a 4.2-inch display or 8-inch touch screen, OnStar with 4G LTE and Wi-Fi hot spot and a Safety Alert Seat, which vibrates to notify the driver of potential hazards in the truck's path. IntelliLink responds quickly to inputs and you don't have to take your eyes too far off the road to see the screen, reviewers say. However, a few critics mention that the display for the rearview camera is blurry, which can make it tricky to align a trailer hitch with the trailer.
- "Although it shares much of its chassis and mechanicals with the Chevrolet Silverado, GMC stamps its own upscale brand on the Sierra, giving it the feel of a work truck for the boss rather than the crew." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But drivers who use the pickup for demanding work purposes shouldn't fear the updates, as the latest Sierra is still just as capable as it's ever been." -- AutoTrader
- "Like the nearly identical Chevrolet Silverado, the Sierra is a capable, refined truck offering an impressive array of features." -- Consumer Guide
- "A wide range of body styles, capable performance and a fuel-efficient V8 should make the 2014 GMC Sierra an accomplished contender in the full-size pickup segment." -- Edmunds (2014)
Other Trucks to Consider
Test drivers say the Ram 1500 has the most comfortable ride in the class, and they appreciate that its available air-adjustable suspension helps keep the truck level even when towing or hauling heavy loads. With its class-exclusive diesel engine option, the Ram 1500 gets excellent fuel economy for the class.
According to reviewers, the Ford F-150's two optional turbocharged V6 engines deliver ample power in any situation. They like the F-150's spacious cabin and say it has poised handling.
Details: 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
The 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 is available in a three-seat Regular Cab configuration or Double and Crew Cab configurations, which both seat up to six. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. A 4.3-liter V6 engine is standard, while 5.3- and 6.2-liter V8s are optional. A six-speed automatic comes with the V6 and smaller V8, while the larger V8 has an eight-speed automatic. The Sierra comes in four trims: base, SLE, SLT and Denali. The Sierra 1500 was fully redesigned for 2014 and sees few major changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: GMC Sierra 1500
- View the best prices for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500
- Search used GMC Sierra 1500 for sale (15,320 listings)
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings