GMC Terrain Review
The 2014 GMC Terrain ranks 2 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the GMC Terrain, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 GMC Terrain is ranked:
Although critics say the 2014 GMC Terrain has uninspiring handling, they note that it boasts a luxurious interior, high-tech standard features and strapping performance from its available V6 engine.
Reviewers say that the Terrain’s base four-cylinder engine offers unremarkable performance, with sluggish acceleration during passing and merging. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and the 2014 Terrain with this powertrain gets up to 22/32 mpg city/highway. A V6 engine is available, and reviewers say that it offers plenty of power without sacrificing much fuel economy. Most auto critics are disappointed with the Terrain's handling, saying its steering is imprecise and that the ride isn't at all sporty. However, test drivers praise the Terrain for its cushioned, comfortable ride, which they say is ideal for long trips.
Test drivers are thrilled with the GMC Terrain's interior, saying its materials are upscale, which gives the Terrain a luxurious feel. They say the Terrain offers a nearly-silent ride, and they love the layout of the cabin. Auto reviewers say the Terrain has a spacious back seat and plenty of legroom, which is aided by its sliding rear seat. Cargo space is average for the class, but the Terrain has less room for cargo than the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. The 2014 GMC Terrain comes with high-tech features like a rearview camera, a touch-screen stereo, heated mirrors and Bluetooth, which aren’t standard on some competitors. The Denali trim comes loaded with even more standard features, including lane departure warning, remote start and forward collision alert. Reviewers say the optional IntelliLink infotainment system is straightforward and easy to navigate.
- "The 2014 GMC Terrain is a generously equipped compact crossover SUV with an inviting interior. Acceleration and real-world fuel economy are unimpressive with the base four-cylinder engine, so the optional V6 is a worthwhile upgrade if it's within your budget." -- Edmunds
- "Fitting into what might be called the ‘just-right- size’ SUV category, the 5-passenger 2014 GMC Terrain has a rugged-looking truck-like - yet handsome - exterior, a roomy and luxurious interior, an all-wheel-drive (AWD) system that gives it all-weather capability for snowy days and a choice of two engines, each of which delivers commendably-good fuel economy." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Terrain - along with the Equinox - is a terrific option for compact-crossover shoppers who want a more substantial feel out of their ride. It also packs all the current technology and safety features you would want in a car in this segment and price range." -- Cars.com (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The 2014 Mazda CX-5 has a significantly lower starting price, and reviewers praise it for its driving dynamics, saying it's a thrill to drive. The CX-5 also has more cargo space than the Terrain, and reviewers say that drivers can easily find a comfortable seating position.
If you're looking for nimble handling, reviewers say that the 2014 Ford Escape is a good option, with agility that rivals that of a compact car. The Escape is available with four-cylinder EcoBoost engines that get high marks from reviewers, who say they put out admirable power while maintaining good fuel economy numbers.
Details: 2014 GMC Terrain
The 2014 GMC Terrain has front-wheel drive and is available in five trim levels: SLE-1, SLE-2, SLT-1, SLT-2 and Denali. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine comes standard, and a 3.6-liter V6 engine is optional. Both are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. All-wheel drive is available on all trims. Aside from minor equipment upgrades, the Terrain is mostly unchanged for 2014, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: GMC Terrain
- View the best prices for the 2014 GMC Terrain
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 GMC Terrain
- Search used GMC Terrain for sale (12,199 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings