GMC Terrain Interior
Test drivers praise the 2014 GMC Terrain's cabin, which they say is quiet, roomy and features upscale materials. They say the seats are comfortable, even during long drives, and that a sliding rear seat makes the back seat notably spacious. Most automotive journalists are pleased with the Terrain's IntelliLink infotainment system, saying it's intuitive. Reviewers are particularly pleased with the Terrain Denali's trim, noting its luxurious soft-touch materials, wood-accented steering wheel and abundance of standard features.
- "GMC might still be perceived as a ‘truck’ brand, but the 2014 Terrain's nicely appointed interior is anything but rugged to the eye or the touch." -- Edmunds
- "The Terrain shares a lot with its GM sibling, the Chevrolet Equinox, but comes across as more upscale, with higher-quality materials and a snazzier, more luxurious look that includes satin metal trim and 2-tone leather." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Inside, the Denali has a nice looking soft-touch dash pad, a wood-trimmed steering wheel, a leather armrest, matching wood and leather door inserts, illuminated sills and the obligatory Denali logo embossed in the leather seats. The interior changes are as subtle as they are on the exterior, but they're nice." -- Autoblog (2013)
- "Denali is a notable step up from its siblings. Its padded dashtop, red contrast stitching, and genuine wood trim on the steering wheel give the cabin a decidedly upscale feel worthy of the model's price premium." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
According to one reviewer, the five-seat GMC Terrain has one of the roomiest rear seats in its class. A MultiFlex rear sliding seat is standard on all trims, and reviewers say its flexibility adds to the cabin's abundant legroom. Reviewers are impressed with the Terrain's exceptionally quiet interior, which some say is comparable to that of some luxury cars, even on the highway. The 2014 GMC Terrain comes standard with cloth seats. Heated front seats and an eight-way power-adjustable driver's seat are optional. The Denali trim comes standard with heated front seats, eight-way power-adjustable driver's and front passenger's seats and perforated leather trim.
- "However you equip it, the GMC gets high marks for ride comfort, and extensive sound-deadening measures result in a remarkably serene cabin." -- Edmunds
- "Occupants of the 2014 GMC Terrain will appreciate the remarkably quiet interior - thorough applications of laminated glass, active noise-cancellation technology and triple-sealed doors have resulted in an almost luxury-car level of quiet, even at highway speeds." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The smallest GMC fares better when it comes to packaging, where it does not feel very small inside. The rear seat, among the most spacious in its class, slides fore and aft eight inches, allowing for additional cargo space or more generous legroom." -- Automobile Magazine (2013 Denali)
- "Occupants enjoy ample headroom and legroom, even beneath the sunroof housing. Supportive seats are a boon on longer trips." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Standard features on the 2014 GMC Terrain include a rearview camera, heated mirrors, Bluetooth, a six-speaker stereo, a USB port, a three-month trial of satellite radio and OnStar with a six-month trial of the Directions & Connections Plan, which provides services like automatic crash response, roadside assistance and turn-by-turn navigation. The Terrain can be equipped with features including an eight-speaker Pioneer stereo system, rear park assist, a power sunroof and an IntelliLink infotainment system with navigation. The top-of-the-line Denali trim comes standard with many of the lower trims' optional features, including a power liftgate, remote start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, forward collision alert and lane departure warning.
Reviewers say the Terrain's center stack has a well-designed layout, and that its gauges are clear and legible. Test drivers agree that the IntelliLink infotainment system is straightforward with intuitive menus and icons, which one test driver compares to those on smartphones. However, one reviewer says the touch-screen inputs are sometimes unresponsive.
- "The on-screen menus are well organized, but the system's occasional slow or missed responses to touch inputs can be frustrating." -- Edmunds
- "Another nice touch is a touch-screen radio and sound system that includes icons similar to those on smartphones in order to operate the various functions." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The driver faces a well-designed dash -- its center stack of buttons is arguably the best laid-out of any GM car, and the IntelliLink touch screen interface and navigation unit are logical and easy to use." -- Automobile Magazine (2013 Denali)
- "The basic gauges are easy to decipher." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The 2014 GMC Terrain has 31.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the back seats. With the rear seats folded, the Terrain's cargo space measures 63.9 cubic feet. While the Terrain’s cargo space is average for the class, it has less room for cargo than competitors like the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. Some reviewers say the Terrain should offer more cargo space for its size. However, others note that the MultiFlex sliding rear seat makes the cargo hold roomy, and that storage spaces like the glovebox, center console and door pockets are generous.
- "That said, even considering the Terrain's almost-midsize footprint, it's not entirely efficient with its interior space. With the rear seats folded, the Terrain's 63.7 cubic feet of maximum cargo capacity is noticeably less than that of the Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota RAV4. With the rear seats carrying passengers, the Terrain offers 31.6 cubic feet of cargo space." -- Edmunds
- "Space is generous, aided by the MultiFlex rear bench. The spare tire eats up pretty much all the space beneath the cargo floor, which is disappointing. Interior storage is fairly generous, with a decently sized center console, glovebox, and door pockets." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: GMC Terrain
- View the best prices for the 2014 GMC Terrain
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 GMC Terrain
- Search used GMC Terrain for sale (12,199 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings