GMC Terrain Review
The 2015 GMC Terrain ranks 3 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the GMC Terrain, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 GMC Terrain is ranked:
Test drivers report that the 2015 GMC Terrain stands out with lots of rear-seat legroom, an upscale cabin and a powerful available V6 engine.
According to auto journalists, the 2015 Terrain's four-cylinder engine could use more power for acceleration from a stop and passing on the freeway. However, they agree that the available V6 has ample power in all situations. Reviewers add that the standard six-speed automatic transmission changes gears seamlessly. The Terrain achieves up to an EPA-estimated 22/32 mpg city/highway with the four-cylinder engine, which is on par for the class. Auto journalists report that the Terrain has a compliant ride over rough roads and is comfortable to drive on longer trips. However, critics mention that agile handling is not the Terrain’s strong suit, as it has quite a bit of body lean in turns and numb steering.
The 2015 GMC Terrain's cabin earns reviewer praise for its upscale materials and isolation from outside noise. Some test drivers report that the Terrain feels more opulent inside than the Chevrolet Equinox, which it shares a platform with. Many note that the Terrain's front seats are comfortable and supportive and that its standard sliding rear seats allow for a generous amount of rear-seat legroom. Critics are unimpressed with the Terrain's available cargo space, which, at 63.9 cubic feet with the rear seats folded, falls short compared to that of the more cavernous entries in the class. Standard features include a rearview camera, Bluetooth, a USB port and an audio system with a 7-inch touch-screen display. An eight-speaker Pioneer audio system, GMC's IntelliLink infotainment system, rear parking sensors and leather upholstery are available. According to most reviewers, the IntelliLink system is easy to use, though critics note that some of the buttons can be slow to respond.
- "While some classify the GMC Terrain as a compact crossover, others say that it's a midsize. The truth is that the 2015 GMC Terrain enjoys the best of both designations. It offers fuel economy fit for a compact and the roominess of a midsize utility. Add trucklike styling to the equation, and the GMC Terrain becomes a truly compelling package." -- AutoTrader
- "The GMC Terrain's 'tweener size and unique styling definitely appeal to those who want something styled like a truck, but without truck-like handling. The available V6 engine also gives the Terrain surprisingly good towing capacity for its class - 3,500 pounds." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "But the 2014 GMC Terrain is definitely worth a look, particularly if you're interested in one with a truly upscale interior and a V6 engine option." -- Edmunds (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Honda CR-V has more cargo space than the Terrain, and test drivers comment that its rear seats have ample legroom. Reviewers are pleased with the CR-V's comfortable ride, strong brakes and small turning radius, which makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
Auto journalists remark that the Ford Escape has poised handling and strong acceleration with its available turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. Reviewers like the Escape's upscale cabin materials and appreciate its available hands-free power liftgate.
Details: 2015 GMC Terrain
The 2015 GMC Terrain seats five and comes standard with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is available. A four-cylinder engine is standard and a V6 is optional. With either engine, a six-speed automatic transmission is standard. There are five trim levels: SLE-1, SLE-2, SLT-1, SLT-2 and Denali. Aside from minor equipment upgrades, the Terrain is largely unchanged since the 2010 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: GMC Terrain
- View the best prices for the 2015 GMC Terrain
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 GMC Terrain
- Search used GMC Terrain for sale (12,199 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings