GMC Yukon Hybrid Review
The 2013 GMC Yukon Hybrid ranks 5 out of 8 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 35 published reviews and test drives of the GMC Yukon Hybrid, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 GMC Yukon Hybrid is ranked:
The 2013 GMC Yukon Hybrid offers plenty of space for passengers, decent towing capacity and good fuel economy for its size, but test drivers say you may be better served by a three-row crossover because of its better driving dynamics.
The GMC Yukon Hybrid comes with a V8 gas engine and two electric motors. Test drivers say this combination moves the heavy Yukon Hybrid adequately, but not quickly. The engine is mated to an electrically variable transmission (EVT), which reviewers say provides prompt shifts, but can hesitate when power is needed. The EPA estimates that the Yukon Hybrid gets 20/23 mpg city/highway in both rear- and four-wheel drive, which beats most other full-sized SUVs like the Chevrolet Suburban and Toyota Sequoia. Its handling lags behind crossovers, but one reviewer says it stacks up against its rivals fairly well. Still, test drivers note that the Yukon Hybrid is far from being fun to drive and is a pain to maneuver around town.
Reviewers like the Yukon Hybrid’s attractive interior layout, but say its subpar materials, including hard surfaces and plastics, disappoint, especially in the pricey Denali model. Critics find that the first and second rows are comfortable, but say that the third row is very cramped and not suitable for adults. While test drivers say there is a good amount of cargo space, they are highly annoyed with the third-row seats, which have to be removed in order to maximize the cargo space. Reviewers say the interior controls are logically placed and especially like the navigation system’s ease of use. The Yukon Hybrid comes with plenty of standard features like a rearview camera, satellite radio, touch-screen navigation system and Bluetooth. The only options are a power sunroof and a rear-seat entertainment system. The Denali model adds chrome exterior trim and larger wheels.
- "Whether you want an SUV that's big and powerful, flashy and full-featured, or is a relatively fuel-efficient hybrid, the 2013 GMC Yukon has a good chance of fitting your needs and style." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "However, those willing to spend a bit more money for a slightly smaller vehicle can choose more luxurious and fuel efficient rides such as the diesel variants of the BMW X5 and Mercedes-Benz GL-Class." -- Left Lane News
- "The … GMC Yukon Hybrid offers compelling efficiency and decent tow capacity, but a regular large crossover will likely be a better choice for most consumers." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The completely redesigned Mercedes-Benz GL-Class diesel model costs a bit more, but has better fuel economy than the Yukon Hybrid. Additionally, reviewers praise its luxurious, upscale interior and like its available high-tech safety features.
The Ford Expedition is worth a look because of its comparable cargo space, which can be expanded with the long-wheelbase Expedition EL. Reviewers appreciate the Expedition's smooth ride and -row seats better than the Yukon's. The Expedition also has more towing capacity, but its fuel economy is much lower.
Details: 2013 GMC Yukon Hybrid
The GMC Yukon Hybrid seats up to eight people. It comes in two trims: base and Denali. Both are similarly equipped, but the Denali model adds chrome exterior trim and larger wheels. The Yukon Hybrid has a 6.0-liter V8 gas engine and an electric motor paired to an electrically variable transmission (EVT). Not much has changed on the Yukon Hybrid for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from model years 2008 to 2013.
Next Steps: GMC Yukon Hybrid
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the GMC Yukon Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used GMC Yukon Hybrid for sale (4,286 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the GMC Yukon Hybrid
- See what others paid for the 2013 GMC Yukon Hybrid
- View GMC Yukon Hybrid Photos
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings