Honda Accord Hybrid Review
The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid ranks 4 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Honda Accord Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
Extraordinary fuel economy, strong performance and a roomy, upscale interior impress reviewers who’ve driven the new 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid.
The 2014 Accord Hybrid has a four-cylinder engine, electric motor and continuously variable transmission. Auto writers say the Accord Hybrid has plenty of power, particularly from a stop, and they like how quiet and conventional-feeling the CVT is. A few say it pauses when asked to deliver more power. The 2014 Accord Hybrid’s start-stop feature receives praise for how seamless it is. Some reviewers say the transition between gas and electric power is so flawless you can’t tell it even made the switch. At an EPA-estimated 50/45 mpg city/highway, the Honda Accord Hybrid’s fuel economy is amazing for the class. Critics agree that the Accord Hybrid has balanced handling, saying it feels a bit sporty on a winding road, which they like. Some reviewers think the steering is accurate while others think it feels a bit numb. The Accord Hybrid’s brakes are strong without feeling touchy, which test drivers like.
The inside of the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid is filled with good-looking, premium materials, test drivers say. They agree that the Accord Hybrid offers plenty of passenger space and gives the driver a great view of the road and his or her surroundings. Standard features on the Honda Accord Hybrid include Bluetooth, a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, a USB input, an 8-inch infotainment screen, Pandora Internet radio compatibility, hands-free text messaging capability and Honda LaneWatch (which uses a camera mounted under the passenger side mirror to show the driver what’s in his or her right side blind spot via the 8-inch screen). Available features include navigation, a touch-screen interface, HondaLink smartphone app integration, a seven-speaker premium audio system, satellite radio, a moonroof, a multi-angle rearview camera, forward collision warning, lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control. Some critics wish you could see more data and info when driving in EV mode on the gauges, but overall, they like the amount of fuel economy info that’s displayed.
- "Honda fields a true all-star midsize hybrid sedan with its new 2014 Accord Hybrid. The Hybrid offers all the advantages of the regular Accord but adds to it with Prius-like fuel economy." -- Edmunds
- "A Honda Accord Hybrid makes so much sense, you might be surprised to learn that there isn't already one on the market." -- Jean Knows Cars
- "Honda, which had fallen behind other carmakers with its hybrid models, seems to have put the right ingredients together this time, creating a high-tech sedan that comes loaded with creature comforts, safety features and an impressive drivetrain." -- Motor Trend
- "Prodigal son Honda returns with its latest Accord Hybrid offering and we'd have to say all things are forgiven. Using innovative technology in a well-received and recognized package, at a reasonable price, will only heat up the Hybrid Wars. This time, they'll be ready." -- Left Lane News
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Fusion Hybrid has the same combined fuel economy rating as the Accord Hybrid, and reviewers like that the Fusion Hybrid’s powertrain is quiet and powerful. Like the Accord Hybrid, the Fusion Hybrid receives praise for its spacious cabin.
Though the Toyota Camry Hybrid’s fuel economy isn’t as good as the Accord Hybrid’s and Fusion Hybrid’s, it still gets great fuel economy for the class. Reviewers commend the Camry Hybrid for its seamless transition between gas and electric power.
Details: 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid
The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid is a new hybrid car for the 2014 model year, which seats five and has front-wheel drive. Three trims are available: base, EX-L and Touring. The last time the Accord Hybrid was sold in the U.S. was for the 2007 model year. The 2014 Accord Hybrid has a four-cylinder engine, electric motor and continuously variable transmission. The Accord Plug-in and gas-only Accord are reviewed separately.
Next Steps: Honda Accord Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid
- Search used Honda Accord Hybrid for sale (45,679 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings