Honda Accord Review
The 2014 Honda Accord ranks 1 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Honda Accord, as well as reliability and safety data.
With a spacious interior, good fuel economy and sportier handling than many rivals, auto critics say the 2014 Honda Accord is an excellent choice in a competitive class.
The Accord comes with a four-cylinder engine that test drivers say makes sufficient power and should be fine for most drivers. The optional engine is a V6 that test drivers say makes the Accord feel noticeably quicker. The four-cylinder engine is available with a standard six-speed manual transmission or an optional continuously variable transmission (CVT). Reviewers generally like both transmissions, and some say that the Accord's CVT is particularly smooth and refined. Fuel economy is rated up to an EPA-estimated 27/36 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Many reviewers say the Accord has a fairly sporty suspension, which makes it more fun to drive than many cars in the class. However, some reviewers say that a downside of this is that the Accord’s ride can be slightly rougher over imperfect roads. A few reviewers write that the Accord’s steering doesn’t offer much road feel, though they note that it’s reasonably quick and well-weighted.
Reviewers report that the 2014 Accord's interior is constructed with high-quality materials and has a simple, uncluttered design. They say both the front and back seats are spacious, and some reviewers say that the back seats are among the roomiest and most comfortable in the class. The Accord sedan's trunk has a typical amount of space for the class, though some critics note that the folding rear seatback is not split, so you have less versatility when it comes to carrying back-seat passengers and cargo. Still, reviewers appreciate that the Accord has intuitive climate and stereo controls. Standard features include dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth, a backup camera, a four-speaker stereo and a USB port. Options include a seven-speaker stereo, navigation and satellite radio. Available safety equipment includes adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning and a blind spot camera mounted on the passenger side mirror.
- "But perhaps one of the Accord's greatest assets is that it really has so few faults." -- Consumer Guide
- "With its strong performance, outstanding fuel economy, precise handling, accommodating cabin and good overall reputation, the 2014 Honda Accord is one of our top picks in the hugely competitive midsize sedan segment." -- Edmunds
- "The Honda Accord competes in the highly competitive midsize sedan segment, but despite all the heavy competition, the Accord still manages to be a favorite, not just within the segment, but overall, as it continues to be one of the top-selling models in the U.S." -- Motor Trend
- "For many buyers, the Honda Accord is the default choice for a midsize sedan. It's easy to understand why - between a generous level of standard equipment, excellent mileage, novel technology features a reputation for reliability, the Accord has a great deal to offer." -- Left Lane News
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers say the Mazda Mazda6 is one of the sportiest entries in the segment, with nimble handling and a peppy engine. Like the Accord, the Mazda6 also gets great fuel economy for the class.
The Ford Fusion is praised for its comfortable interior and refined handling, as well as its range of engine choices that deliver either more power or return greater fuel economy. Unlike the Accord, the Fusion is also available with all-wheel drive.
Details: 2014 Honda Accord
The 2014 Honda Accord is available as a sedan or coupe, which both seat five and have front-wheel drive. The Accord is available in several trims, ranging from the base Accord LX with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a six-speed manual transmission, to the Accord Touring with a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The Accord was last redesigned for the 2013 model year. Since it hasn't changed much, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2013 and 2014.
Next Steps: Honda Accord
- View the best prices for the 2014 Honda Accord
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Honda Accord
- Search used Honda Accord for sale (42,549 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings