Honda CR-V Review
The 2013 Honda CR-V ranks 1 out of 21 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 29 published reviews and test drives of the Honda CR-V, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Honda CR-V is ranked:
While some competing SUVs offer more power, the 2013 Honda CR-V shines with nimble handling, a roomy interior and a standard rearview camera.
The 2013 Honda CR-V has a four-cylinder engine, which is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission. Although some reviewers say that many competing SUVs offer transmissions with more gears or optional engines with more power, they still generally agree that the 2013 CR-V will perform adequately on your daily commute. With an EPA-estimated 23/31 mpg city/highway, the CR-V also uses less fuel than a number of SUVs in the class. Most test drivers are particularly pleased with the CR-V’s handling, saying that its small turning radius and car-like ride make the CR-V one of the most nimble SUVs in the segment. Additionally, the CR-V's impressive safety and reliability ratings make it a smart choice among affordable compact SUVs.
The Honda CR-V is the 2013 Best Compact SUV for Families because it has the best combination of quality, size and family-friendly features in its class.
Inside, reviewers find that the CR-V includes a spacious cargo hold and back seat, as well as comfortable and supportive front seats. Some members of the automotive press write that the CR-V’s interior materials could be nicer, and that the optional navigation system is difficult to use, but most say that if you’re looking for a small family SUV, the 2013 CR-V is certainly worth your consideration. The CR-V’s standard features include a backup camera, which is rare for the class, as well as a USB port and Bluetooth phone and audio streaming. Optional features include a moonroof, navigation, dual-zone climate control, leather upholstery and heated front seats.
- "CR-V continues to excel for its "just-right" blend of comfort, refinement, passenger room, and cargo versatility. It's competitively priced, too." -- Consumer Guide
- "However, new rivals, such as the Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda CX-5 and Ford Escape, offer better audio and infotainment systems, more features and, in some cases, more horsepower and better fuel economy." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Some of its competitors lean on styling and upmarket features to appeal to customers, but Honda is relying on the core strengths of its product. As a package, the CR-V remains pretty unbeatable. That certainly won't come as a surprise to existing CR-V owners." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "The fact that Honda (mostly) hit a home run on interior comfort, trim, packaging and styling helps, but it's the way this Honda drives that's going to keep the CR-V a leader in the entry crossover slot." -- Popular Mechanics (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
While it doesn’t have as much cargo space, the Chevrolet Equinox earns praise from reviewers for its high-quality interior and spacious second row, which features sliding seats. The base Equinox closely matches the CR-V’s fuel economy, and if you want more power, the Equinox is also available with a V6 engine.
The base Ford Escape offers fuel economy that’s nearly as good as the CR-V’s, and reviewers love the Escape’s agile handling and optional EcoBoost engines. While the Escape also has slightly less cargo space than the CR-V, test drivers say that there’s plenty of passenger space and ample legroom in the back seat.
Details: 2013 Honda CR-V
The 2013 Honda CR-V seats five and has standard front-wheel drive. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed automatic transmission are standard on all models. All-wheel drive is optional. The CR-V comes in three trims: LX, EX and EX-L. The CR-V was redesigned last year and rolls into 2013 unchanged. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Honda CR-V
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Honda CR-V
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Honda CR-V for sale (12,283 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Honda CR-V
- See what others paid for the 2013 Honda CR-V
- View Honda CR-V Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings