2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Review
This review was written when the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid was new.
The Civic Hybrid provides similar qualifications to the popular Toyota Prius while offering the conventional styling of a gas-engine sedan. But many reviewers report its around-town driving is weak, even for a hybrid vehicle.
The 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid garners solid praise for its value, sleek, futuristic redesign and fuel-sipping habits. In both the small car and hybrid car rankings, the sedan receives high scores for its conventional exterior style, its high-quality cabin and for its outstanding safety. But there are many reviews who report the Civic Hybrid's performance is underwhelming -- even as a hybrid vehicle, it does not provide as much power on the highway as expected.
The Civic Hybrid comes only as a four-door sedan. The 2008 model of the Civic Hybrid carries over from 2007 virtually unchanged, save for a tire pressure monitoring system. If you're in the market for a hybrid vehicle, also consider the Toyota Camry Hybrid or the Toyota Prius. If you're interested in an affordable small car, consider the gas-engine Honda Civic, or the Honda Fit.
- "The Honda Civic Hybrid is one of the best hybrids available, with an affordable price, excellent driving dynamics, and fuel economy matched by few other models." -- Forbes
- "The Civic hybrid relies on a simpler technology than the rival Toyota Prius and doesn't run in pure-electric mode, but its gasoline-electric powertrain still yields 40-50 mpg in economy and the Civic is far more frisky to drive. Want to be green and enjoy the drive? Go for the Civic." -- Car and Driver
- "Honda's reputation for practical economy is shown in the Civic Hybrid, well-built and simply designed to sip fuel. Interior tech options are usefully done, making this Honda a great commuter sedan." -- CNET
- "The Civic Hybrid's efficiency and environmental benefits are undeniable. Add in spaciousness, fun factor, and equipment level, and there's your value, folks. High, as in hybrid." -- About.com
- "It's an ideal first car for a teen driver, and it's likewise ideal for retired seniors on fixed incomes. It's all very impressive." -- Sacramento Bee
- "Civic Hybrid drivers pay a price for being able to thumb their noses at Big Oil and help save the planet -- in higher purchase price and lower performance." -- Newsday