2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Review
The Civic Hybrid provides similar qualifications to the popular Toyota Prius while offering the conventional styling of a gas-engine sedan. But many reviewers report its around-town driving is weak, even for a hybrid vehicle.
The 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid garners solid praise for its value, sleek, futuristic redesign and fuel-sipping habits. In both the small car and hybrid car rankings, the sedan receives high scores for its conventional exterior style, its high-quality cabin and for its outstanding safety. But there are many reviews who report the Civic Hybrid's performance is underwhelming -- even as a hybrid vehicle, it does not provide as much power on the highway as expected.
The Civic Hybrid comes only as a four-door sedan. The 2008 model of the Civic Hybrid carries over from 2007 virtually unchanged, save for a tire pressure monitoring system. If you're in the market for a hybrid vehicle, also consider the Toyota Camry Hybrid or the Toyota Prius. If you're interested in an affordable small car, consider the gas-engine Honda Civic, or the Honda Fit.
- "The Honda Civic Hybrid is one of the best hybrids available, with an affordable price, excellent driving dynamics, and fuel economy matched by few other models." -- Forbes
- "The Civic hybrid relies on a simpler technology than the rival Toyota Prius and doesn't run in pure-electric mode, but its gasoline-electric powertrain still yields 40-50 mpg in economy and the Civic is far more frisky to drive. Want to be green and enjoy the drive? Go for the Civic." -- Car and Driver
- "Honda's reputation for practical economy is shown in the Civic Hybrid, well-built and simply designed to sip fuel. Interior tech options are usefully done, making this Honda a great commuter sedan." -- CNET
- "The Civic Hybrid's efficiency and environmental benefits are undeniable. Add in spaciousness, fun factor, and equipment level, and there's your value, folks. High, as in hybrid." -- About.com
- "It's an ideal first car for a teen driver, and it's likewise ideal for retired seniors on fixed incomes. It's all very impressive." -- Sacramento Bee
- "Civic Hybrid drivers pay a price for being able to thumb their noses at Big Oil and help save the planet -- in higher purchase price and lower performance." -- Newsday