2008 Honda Civic Review
In our rankings, the 2008 Civic is engaged in a sibling rivalry with the 2008 Honda Fit. The Civic holds an edge in safety and visual appeal, while the Fit's versatile cabin makes it a better choice for some buyers. Little has changed in the Civic for 2008. Honda introduces a leather seating option and a high-performance model, the Civic Mugen Si.
The 2008 Honda Civic wins praise for performance and value, class-leading safety ratings, and a body style that stands out in from its competition. Reviews say its cabin is comfortable, though a few competitors offer more space or upscale styling. The current generation of the Civic was named Car of the Year when it debuted in 2006 by both Motor Trend and the Detroit News, and by a jury of automotive journalists at the 2006 North American International Auto Show. It was a Consumer Reports top pick in 2007 (Hyundai Elantra took the prize in 2008). With the escalating gas prices, the Civic has also become the best selling car in the U.S, knocking the Ford F-150 pickup truck off its longstanding pedestal for that title in May 2008. As recent automotive excesses (we're looking at you, Hummer) fade away, the Honda Civic could be poised to become the automotive symbol for leaner, more responsible times.
The Civic is available as a two-door coupe or a four-door sedan in a variety of trims, as well as the Civic Hybrid and the performance-oriented Civic Si. The 2009 Civic is now available, with a modified front end, and a few more cabin features. The Civic has long been considered the benchmark other compact cars are measured against.
- "There's no single thing that blows you away about the Civic. Except the total package." U.S. News reviewer Rick Newman
- "Feels like a car in an entirely different class." -- Motor Trend
- "Looks, feels and drives like a car that costs thousands more." -- Kansas City Star
- "Wrapped in edgy new styling, the Honda Civic reigns as the most diverse car on the market, including an ultra-efficient hybrid model, high-mileage gas versions, models with luxury trim, and even a clean-burning natural-gas option." -- Arizona Republic
- "Civic has grown into a stylish sedan that, in most respects, rivals the mid-size Honda Accord of just a few years ago." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Next Steps: Honda Civic
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Honda Civic for sale (25,927 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Honda Civic
- View Honda Civic Photos
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings