2007 Honda Element Recalls & Reliability
There have been 4 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
AIR BAGSRecall Date: 06/20/2014
- Summary: American Honda Motor Company, Inc. (Honda) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2007 Accord (4-cylinder), 2001-2002 Accord (V6), 2001-2005 Civic, 2002-2006 CR-V, 2003-2011 Element, 2002-2004 Odyssey, 2003-2007 Pilot, 2006 Ridgeline, 2003-2006 Acura MDX, and 2002-2003 TL/CL vehicles originally sold, or ever registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
- Consequence: In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver side frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.
- Remedy: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the inflators in all affected vehicles, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V351000
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRINGRecall Date: 08/31/2012
- Summary: Honda is recalling certain model year 2007 through 2011 Element passenger vehicles equipped with an accessory trailer hitch wiring harness. The wire that supplies power to the trailer turn signal lights was inadvertently switched with the stop lamp wire. As a result the turn signals only illuminate when the brake lamps are illuminated. This does not comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 5,216
- Consequence: Without trailer turn signal illumination, the driver's intent is not communicated, potentially increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will repair the vehicles free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on, or about, September 20, 2012. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009.
- Notes: Honda's recall campaign number is S53. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V436000
SERVICE BRAKES, AIRRecall Date: 03/15/2010
- Summary: HONDA HAS NOTIFIED NHTSA OF A DEFECT IN CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 AND 2008 ODYSSEY AND ELEMENT PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JULY 28, 2006 AND AUGUST 21, 2008. AIR CAN ENTER THE VSA MODULAR PUMP DURING AN INITIAL SELF-CHECK PROCESS THAT OCCURS SHORTLY AFTER EACH TIME THE ENGINE IS STARTED. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR ENOUGH AIR TO ENTER THE SYSTEM TO RESULT IN A BRAKE PEDAL THAT FEELS SOFT OR LOWER TO THE FLOOR.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 412000
- Consequence: IF THE OWNER DOES NOT HAVE ANY BRAKE SERVICE OR MAINTENANCE PERFORMED OVER A PERIOD OF MONTHS OR YEARS, THE SYSTEM CAN CONTINUE TO ACCUMULATE ENOUGH AIR TO AFFECT BRAKING PERFORMANCE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- Remedy: HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNER AND HONDA DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VSA MODULATOR BY REMOVING ANY EXISTING AIR IN THE BRAKE SYSTEM THEN APPLY SEALANT AND CAPS TO PREVENT AIR FROM ENTERING THE BRAKE SYSTEM FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 10V098000
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTSRecall Date: 04/05/2009
- Summary: DOPE, INC. IS RECALLING 42,540 COMBINATION CORNER AND BUMPER LAMP ASSEMBLIES OF VARIOUS PART NUMBERS SOLD FOR USE AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR VARIOUS PASSENGER VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT." THESE LAMPS DO NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED AMBER SIDE REFLECTORS.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 42540
- Consequence: DECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
- Remedy: DOPE, INC. WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER A FULL REFUND FOR THE NONCOMPLIANT COMBINATION LAMPS. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY/JUNE 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOPE, INC. AT 1-626-272-1798.
- Notes: THIS RECALL ONLY PERTAINS TO AFTERMARKET REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT AND HAS NO RELATION TO ANY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT INSTALLED ON VEHICLES PRODUCED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER. IN ORDER TO DETERMINE IF YOUR AFTERMARKET LAMP ASSEMBLY IS AFFECTED BY THIS NONCOMPLIANCE, PLEASE REVIEW THE LIST OF MODEL NUMBERS PROVIDED TO US BY DOPE, INC. THE LIST CAN BE FOUND UNDER "DOCUMENT SEARCH" LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR SCREEN. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 09E025000
Honda backs up the Element with a three-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. The Element also comes equipped with a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Warranty information last updated: 8/26/08
Next Steps: Honda Element