2010 Honda Element Recalls & Reliability
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
AIR BAGSRecall Date: 06/20/2014
- Consequence: In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the driver side frontal air bag, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V351000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
- Summary: American Honda Motor Company, Inc. (Honda) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2007 Accord (4-cylinder), 2001-2002 Accord (V6), 2001-2005 Civic, 2002-2006 CR-V, 2003-2011 Element, 2002-2004 Odyssey, 2003-2007 Pilot, 2006 Ridgeline, 2003-2006 Acura MDX, and 2002-2003 TL/CL vehicles originally sold, or ever registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.
- Remedy: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will replace the inflators in all affected vehicles, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Honda customer service at 1-800-999-1009.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:WIRINGRecall Date: 08/31/2012
- Consequence: Without trailer turn signal illumination, the driver's intent is not communicated, potentially increasing the risk of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V436000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 5,216
- Summary: Honda is recalling certain model year 2007 through 2011 Element passenger vehicles equipped with an accessory trailer hitch wiring harness. The wire that supplies power to the trailer turn signal lights was inadvertently switched with the stop lamp wire. As a result the turn signals only illuminate when the brake lamps are illuminated. This does not comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."
- Remedy: Honda will notify owners, and dealers will repair the vehicles free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on, or about, September 20, 2012. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009.
- Notes: Honda's recall campaign number is S53. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:GEAR POSITION INDICATION (PRNDL)Recall Date: 08/03/2010
- Consequence: THIS CAN CAUSE THE KEY TO BE STUCK IN THE IGNITION SWITCH, AN INABILITY TO SHIFT INTO OR OUT OF PARK, OR AN INABILITY TO SHIFT INTO REVERSE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 10V361000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 585
- Summary: HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 ELEMENT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 1, 2010 THROUGH JUNE 25, 2010. DURING ASSEMBLY PROCESS, THE CABLE THAT CONNECTS THE SHIFT LEVER TO THE TRANSMISSION WAS NOT SET CORRECTLY AT THE SHIFT LEVER BRACKET. AS A RESULT THE DRIVER MAY MOVE THE GEAR SHIFT LEVER BUT THE TRANSMISSION MAY NOT BE PLACED IN THE SELECTED GEAR.
- Remedy: HONDA HAS CONTACTED SOME OWNERS BY PHONE AND ARRANGED TO, HAVE, OR HAS HAD, THEIR VEHICLES REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE. ALL OTHER OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL. DEALERS WILL CORRECTLY SET THE SHIFT CABLE BUSHING. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT AUGUST 9, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.
- Notes: HONDA'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS R45. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2010 Honda Element