Honda Fit Review
The 2013 Honda Fit ranks 1 out of 43 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 43 published reviews and test drives of the Honda Fit, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Honda Fit is ranked:
The 2013 Honda Fit offers ample passenger and cargo space for such a small car, but test drivers wish it had a more powerful engine, more optional features and a quieter cabin. An above-average reliability score helps the Fit secure a spot at the top of its class.
While the Honda Fit hatchback’s four-cylinder engine isn’t powerful, critics still say the Fit is pretty fun to drive for a subcompact, thanks to its standard manual transmission and nimble handling. With the automatic transmission, the Fit averages up to 28/35 mpg city/highway. Although those ratings aren’t the highest in the class, they’re still good for a hatchback with as much cargo space as the Fit. Still, some reviewers mention that competitors have quieter interiors, better brakes, higher fuel economy ratings and more powerful engines. Some car reviewers may think that the 2013 Fit falters for its performance, but the Fit trumps many of its better-performing competitors, like the Volkswagen Golf and Mazda2, with above-average reliability.
Despite these criticisms, reviewers note that no competitor can match the Honda Fit’s interior space. The five-seat cabin offers front and rear seats with plenty of space for adults, cargo space that rivals some affordable compact SUVs and a class-exclusive Magic Seat that allows you to arrange the passenger seats to accommodate cargo like a tall plant or bicycle. The Honda Fit has a standard USB port and optional Bluetooth and navigation, which are typical features for the class, but some rivals offer these as well as infotainment systems and optional safety equipment like blind-spot monitoring.
- "Well, its many new competitors outdo the Fit in a number of different ways. The Chevrolet Sonic, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio offer a more comfortable ride on the road, stronger brakes, more efficient and/or powerful engines, and quieter, higher-quality interiors." -- Edmunds
- "Ride, acceleration and handling: The new Fit gets top marks in all three categories. It is one of the most enjoyable small cars on the road." -- The Washington Post (2009)
- "This is a subcompact in name and exterior size only; it's really a small wagon that challenges some compact SUVs for room while getting significantly better fuel economy. Fit deserves a top spot on your shopping list, but our nod goes to the cheaper, yet no less versatile, Base model." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
The Honda Fit doesn’t offer many optional features, but the Ford Focus has a lot of interior tech and safety features to choose from. Focus can come equipped with one of two infotainment systems, as well as a safety feature called MyKey that helps parents set limits on new drivers. Though the Focus doesn’t have as much cargo space as the Fit, it has good fuel economy ratings, an optional turbocharged engine and sedan and hatchback body styles.
If you want a hatchback with outstanding performance for the class, consider the Mazda3. Reviewers are impressed with its powerful engines and responsive steering, even on the base model. Keep in mind, though, that test drivers say the Mazda3’s second-row seats are cramped, and it doesn’t have as much cargo space as the Honda Fit.
Details: 2013 Honda Fit
The Fit is available in three trims: Base, Sport and Sport with Navigation. All models have a four-cylinder engine, and a five-speed manual transmission is standard. An automatic, which can be paired with paddle shifters, is optional. The Honda Fit hasn’t changed much in the past few years, so this overview uses research and reviewers from the 2009 to 2013 model years.
Next Steps: Honda Fit
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Honda Fit
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Honda Fit for sale (4,323 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Honda Fit
- See what others paid for the 2013 Honda Fit
- View Honda Fit Photos
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings