Honda Pilot Review
The 2013 Honda Pilot ranks 16 out of 21 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 52 published reviews and test drives of the Honda Pilot, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Honda Pilot is ranked:
The 2013 Honda Pilot offers a decent list of standard features, but falls well short of other midsize crossovers in terms of performance, interior quality and cargo space.
The Honda Pilot comes equipped with a V6 engine and a five-speed automatic transmission on all trims. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available. The Pilot isn’t the most powerful in the class, but reviewers think its power is adequate in most circumstances. Test drivers think the Pilot’s handling is decent for the class, but they say it’s harder to maneuver in city driving compared to other midsize SUVs, and has squishy brakes. The Pilot has good fuel economy estimates for the class, with 18/25 mpg city/highway with front-wheel drive.
Reviewers are largely disappointed with the Pilot’s interior fit and finish and note that the cabin has too much hard plastic to be considered attractive. While a few critics think the interior is bland, some like the basic look, which they say helps keep the Pilot’s controls and gauges intuitive, even when equipped with the optional navigation system. The Pilot seats eight, and test drivers praise the first- and second-row seats, saying they are supportive and comfortable. The third row gets mixed reviews. Some say it is adult-friendly, while others feel that the seats should be left to kids. Standard features include Bluetooth, a backup camera and a touch-screen infotainment system. Notable optional features include navigation, an upgraded stereo system, satellite radio and a power liftgate.
- "It may not have the Ford Explorer's off-road credentials or the engaging persona of the Mazda CX-9, but the 2013 Honda Pilot succeeds in its ability to provide practical-minded buyers with dependable, comfortable and efficient transportation for their families." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Pilot delivers a rewarding combination of performance, utility, and passenger accommodations. … This remains a well executed crossover and one that's very much worth of a top spot on any family's shopping list." -- Consumer Guide
- "The Honda Pilot is a spacious and efficient mid-size crossover." -- Left Lane News
- "Overall, the … Honda Pilot still falls short of making the honor roll, though. The biggest issue remains unacceptably long stopping distances, which are significantly worse than its competitors. This, along with its sluggish acceleration, makes the Pilot tough to choose over well-rounded crossovers like the Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer and Mazda CX-9." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Chevrolet Traverse is a good alternative to the Pilot because of its solid reliability rating and excellent cargo space. Reviewers think the Traverse is a good all-around SUV with a comfortable interior and car-like handling. It also has excellent safety scores.
If you want a capable commuter SUV that can also go off-road, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is worth a look. The Grand Cherokee has legendary off-road performance and reviewers say its interior is comfortable no matter if you’re on the highway or climbing steep mountains. The Grand Cherokee has a comparable reliability rating, but has lower fuel economy than the Pilot and only seats five.
Details: 2013 Honda Pilot
The eight-seat 2013 Honda Pilot comes in four trims: LX, EX, EX-L and Touring. All trims come with a V6 engine matched to a five-speed automatic transmission. 2013 sees new standard equipment, which include Bluetooth, a touch-screen infotainment system, USB port and a backup camera. Higher trims include leather seats, heated front seats and satellite radio. The Pilot hasn’t been redesigned since 2009, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2013 model years.
Next Steps: Honda Pilot
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Honda Pilot
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Honda Pilot for sale (11,602 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Honda Pilot
- See what others paid for the 2013 Honda Pilot
- View Honda Pilot Photos
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings