Honda Pilot Review
The 2016 Honda Pilot ranks 2 out of 12 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Honda Pilot, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2016 Honda Pilot is ranked:
Test drivers agree that the redesigned 2016 Honda Pilot's roomy cabin, premium interior materials and car-like ride make it an excellent choice for a three-row crossover SUV.
With its standard V6 engine, test drivers say the 2016 Honda Pilot has ample power. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and upper trims get a nine-speed automatic. Reviewers find the six-speed is the quicker-shifting of the two transmissions but say that models with the nine-speed have stronger acceleration. Fuel economy for a base 2016 Pilot is 19/27 mpg city/highway, which is decent for a three-row, V6-powered midsize SUV. Auto journalists agree that the Pilot has a comfortable, car-like ride and responsive steering. Some think it has poised handling, but others remark that there is noticeable body lean while cornering.
The 2016 Honda Pilot's interior materials are soft to the touch and the overall cabin ambiance is luxurious, reviewers report. They note that the front seats are remarkably comfortable, the second row is spacious and the third row is roomy enough for adults to be comfortable on short trips. Overall cargo space is slightly lower than that of some rivals, but test drivers are pleased with the space and appreciate the abundance of small-item storage and cup holders throughout the cabin. The 2016 Pilot comes standard with Bluetooth, a USB port and a rearview camera. Options include Honda's LaneWatch passenger side blind spot camera, adaptive cruise control, a rear-seat entertainment system, an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment display, a 10-speaker audio system and navigation. Several reviewers comment that it can be tricky to adjust the stereo with the touch-sensitive controls found in upper trims. They note that the navigation system is easy to use and say the touch-screen infotainment system has straightforward menus.
- "Whether you've always aspired to three-row SUV/crossover ownership, or the prospect is something the demands of a growing family have forced upon you, the Pilot is well worth considering. Almost guaranteed to provide years of reliable, comfortable service to legions of buyers who are (for whatever reason) allergic to minivans, the 2016 Pilot should be a smash hit." -- AutoWeek
- "It's more streamlined in appearance, more carlike to drive and plusher inside, while the features list swells with the latest technology, safety and luxury equipment. After our first lengthy test-drive, it feels like a class leader." -- Edmunds
- "After a day-long stint behind the wheel, it's clear that the Pilot debuts near the top of a very competitive class." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2016 Honda Pilot has climbed to the top of the three-row SUV class, delivering all the room, comfort, safety features and versatility that make the potholed roads of parenting just a tiny bit smoother." -- Cars.com
- "From so-so to standout, the 2016 Honda Pilot is suddenly one of the best three-row crossovers you can buy. Combining the rarity of a usable third row with luxury-levels of quiet and comfort, the Pilot is a win-win for the entire family." -- Left Lane News
Honda Pilot Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
Test drivers agree that the Dodge Durango has more athletic handling than most other three-row SUVs. They also write that it has an easy-to-use infotainment system, a smooth-shifting transmission and premium cabin materials.
The Chevrolet Traverse has more cargo space than the Pilot, and reviewers say that it has an adult-friendly third row. They also note that the cabin is quiet, the ride is comfortable and the handling is composed.
Details: 2016 Honda Pilot
The 2016 Honda Pilot seats up to eight and comes with a 3.5-liter V6 engine mated to either a standard six-speed automatic transmission or available nine-speed automatic. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. There are five trim levels: LX, EX, EX-L, Touring and Elite. The Pilot is fully redesigned for 2016.
Next Steps: Honda Pilot
- View the best prices for the 2016 Honda Pilot
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Honda Pilot
- Search used Honda Pilot for sale (10,431 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings