Honda Pilot Review
The 2014 Honda Pilot ranks 18 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Honda Pilot, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Honda Pilot is ranked:
Automotive writers say the 2014 Honda Pilot serves its job as a three-row crossover well enough, but rivals surpass it with greater driving refinement and better interior materials.
The 2014 Pilot is powered by a V6 engine that test drivers say makes adequate power. A five-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers note that it occasionally has trouble finding the right gear. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 18/25 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Reviewers say the Pilot delivers a comfortable ride and has a small turning radius, making it easy to maneuver in tight spaces. Critics say that heavy braking induces lots of front nose dive, and the steering gives the driver little feedback.
Critics say the Honda Pilot's interior is a model of ergonomic design, but they dislike the widespread use of materials they say are cheap. They say that the eight-seat Pilot is comfortable and spacious with ample legroom in all three rows. Some also remark that the third row offers generous knee room, which is a rare compliment for third-row seating in this class. Its cargo capacity is typical for the class, though SUVs like the Chevrolet Traverse offer more overall cargo space. Test drivers like that the Pilot's stereo and climate adjustments are easy to use. Standard features include tri-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth, a backup camera, a USB port and a seven-speaker stereo system. Options include a 10-speaker stereo system, navigation, satellite radio, a rear-seat entertainment system and a power sunroof.
- "While sales are slowing down due to updated rivals and the Pilot's aging design, the crossover still offers everything that always made it so popular. That means a standard third row, a no-nonsense interior, comfortable seats and a lot of equipment." -- AutoTrader
- "Factor in proven Honda reliability and customer satisfaction, the pleasurable driving experience, good resale value, its comprehensive offering of features and that it's the most fuel-efficient 8-passenger SUV on the market, and it's very difficult not to like the 2014 Pilot." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As far as three-row crossovers go, they don't come any more roomy, comfortable and fuel efficient than the Honda Pilot. An aging design means that the Pilot no longer near the head of pack in terms of driving manners or interior refinement, though its overall versatility means it still deserves a close look from buyers who need serious space but can't quite stomach the thought of a minivan." -- Left Lane News
- "Overall, the Honda Pilot still falls short of making the honor roll, though. The biggest issue remains unacceptably long stopping distances, which are significantly worse than its competitors. This, along with its sluggish acceleration, makes the Pilot tough to choose over well-rounded crossovers like the Dodge Durango, Ford Explorer and Mazda CX-9." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers love the Dodge Durango's refined handling and smooth eight-speed automatic transmission, as well as its optional V8 that they say delivers ample power. Additionally, the Durango is praised for its intuitive infotainment system and high-quality interior materials.
The Chevrolet Traverse has one of the largest cargo capacities in the class, and reviewers like its comfortable ride. The Traverse also has a good safety score, and reviewers appreciate that it is easy to maneuver in tight spaces.
Details: 2014 Honda Pilot
The 2014 Honda Pilot seats eight. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. Power is supplied by a 3.5-liter V6 engine, which is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. The Pilot comes in LX, EX, EX-L and Touring trims. The Pilot has undergone few major changes since its last redesign for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from model years 2009 to 2014.
Next Steps: Honda Pilot
- View the best prices for the 2014 Honda Pilot
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Honda Pilot
- Search used Honda Pilot for sale (10,602 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings