2015 Honda Pilot Review
Automotive writers say that many of the 2015 Honda Pilot’s rivals have better-quality interiors and deliver more pleasing driving experiences, but they applaud its spacious cabin.
The 2015 Honda Pilot comes with a standard V6 engine that some test drivers say is sufficiently powerful and responsive. Others find that class rivals have stronger engines, and say the Pilot struggles when driving uphill on the highway. Critics say the standard five-speed automatic transmission doesn't always downshift quickly when needed. The fuel economy for the Pilot is good for a three-row SUV, at an EPA-rated 18/25 mpg city/highway. Critics praise the Pilot’s strong brakes and quiet, comfortable ride. However, many say that slow steering and a high center of gravity make the Pilot cumbersome through turns, and that newer midsize SUVs offer handling that’s more composed.
The 2015 Honda Pilot's interior is constructed with inexpensive materials, even at higher trim levels, reviewers say. Still, they appreciate its practical design, generous small-item storage and functionally-shaped cargo hold that makes loading easy. The Pilot's outward visibility from the driver's seat is outstanding, test drivers say. They also note that the second and third rows have good legroom, which is unusual for the class. Auto writers say that the Pilot’s audio, climate and navigation controls are logically positioned, but they point out that a number of features that are optional on rival SUVs are unavailable on the Pilot, including blind spot monitoring and ventilated fronts seats. The Honda Pilot comes standard with tri-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth, a rearview camera, a USB port and a seven-speaker stereo system. Available features include a 10-speaker stereo system, navigation, a rear-seat entertainment system, front and rear parking sensors and a power sunroof.
- "The Pilot constantly earns praise for its family-focused design and interior. All of that remains true with the 2015 Honda Pilot. While sales are slowing down due to updated rivals and the Pilot's aging design, the crossover still offers everything that always made it so popular: a standard third row, a no-nonsense interior, comfortable seats and a lot of equipment." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2015 Honda Pilot earns a solid ‘B’ rating from Edmunds.com for a comfortable ride, generous space for passengers and abundant room for their stuff (both big and small). But you'll certainly want to shop around before making a final decision." -- Edmunds
- "Its tidy exterior proportions make it easy to maneuver through cramped parking lots and rush-hour traffic, yet with seating for up to eight passengers, it can hold as many people as most full-size SUVs. Add in Honda's reputation for reliability and strong resale, and the Pilot begins to look like a sure bet." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As far as three-row crossovers go, they don't come any more roomy, comfortable and fuel efficient than the Honda Pilot. An aging design means that the Pilot no longer near the head of pack in terms of driving manners or interior refinement, though its overall versatility means it still deserves a close look from buyers who need serious space but can't quite stomach the thought of a minivan." -- Left Lane News (2014)
Honda Pilot Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Chevrolet Traverse offers more cargo space than most midsize SUVs, and like the Pilot, critics appreciate its roomy third row. In addition, the Traverse earns praise for its quiet cabin and upscale interior materials.
Reviewers agree that the Dodge Durango has a responsive V6 engine, as well as a powerful V8 engine option. The Durango also impresses with its controlled handling and user-friendly Uconnect infotainment system.
Details: 2015 Honda Pilot
The 2015 Honda Pilot seats eight and comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine and a five-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. The Pilot comes in LX, EX, SE (new for 2015), EX-L and Touring trims. The Pilot has undergone few major changes since its last redesign for 2009. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Honda Pilot
- View the best prices for the 2015 Honda Pilot
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Honda Pilot
- Search used Honda Pilot for sale (10,431 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals