Hyundai Accent Review
The 2014 Hyundai Accent ranks 11 out of 38 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Accent, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Hyundai Accent is ranked:
Test drivers say the 2014 Hyundai Accent has a comfortable ride, an attractive interior and ample cargo space, but it doesn’t offer as many tech features as rivals.
Auto writers say the Accent’s four-cylinder engine offers adequate power in most situations, though a few critics wish it had more pep for passing on the highway. Some reviewers prefer the standard six-speed manual transmission, saying it makes the most of the Accent's engine power, though critics note that the shifter could be more precise. A six-speed automatic is optional, and reviewers report that it shifts smoothly. Equipped with an automatic transmission, the Accent gets an EPA-estimated 27/37 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Automotive writers agree that the Accent has a smooth and quiet ride. However, many note that its handling isn't especially sporty in turns, adding that rivals like the Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 are more engaging and fun to drive.
Test drivers say that although the 2014 Accent’s interior is built with hard plastics, the materials look upscale and the overall cabin design is attractive. Most agree there’s a generous amount of head- and legroom for a subcompact in both the front and back seats, though some note that taller drivers may find it difficult to get comfortable in models that lack a telescoping steering wheel. Both the sedan and hatchback Accent have a good amount of cargo space for the class. The Accent is unavailable with some features that rivals offer, such as navigation, a rearview camera and leather seats, but reviewers are pleased that the audio and climate controls are easy to use. A six-speaker stereo, satellite radio and a USB port are standard. Bluetooth and cruise control are optional.
- "There are plenty of capable small cars vying for your monthly payment, so we recommend test-driving the competition before deciding. But if you're looking for a subcompact that acts like something more, make sure the 2014 Hyundai Accent is on your radar." -- AutoTrader
- "Ultimately, the Hyundai Accent sedan and hatchback represent a very good middle-of-the-road pick in this class. With its well-furnished interior, solid performance and attractive design, this car feels like more than the sum of its parts." -- Edmunds
- "Hyundai's fourth-generation Accent sedan offers a roomy interior, a strong powertrain and a more premium feel than its modest pricetag would suggest. Also available in hatchback form, the subcompact Accent becomes a better value for the latest model year with the addition of new standard equipment." -- Left Lane News
- "Of course, we think the Accent still has the advantage over many rivals in the area of looks, features and ride comfort. From its bright colors to its high-powered standard audio system to its rich 2-tone interior, the Accent scores big in the categories most important to younger buyers. Did we mention the 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty?" -- Kelley Blue Book
Other Cars to Consider
The Kia Rio offers navigation and a rearview camera, neither of which are available on the Accent. Reviewers report that the Rio has plenty of power and a quiet, composed ride.
Test drivers praise the Ford Fiesta for its responsive steering and athletic handling. They particularly like the performance-oriented ST trim, which features a turbocharged engine and earns praise for being very fun to drive.
Details: 2014 Hyundai Accent
The 2014 Hyundai Accent seats five and has front-wheel drive. A 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and six-speed manual transmission are standard, and a six-speed automatic transmission is optional. The base Accent GLS is a sedan and the two higher trims, GS and SE, are hatchbacks. The Accent has seen few changes since it was redesigned for the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Accent
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Accent
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Accent
- Search used Hyundai Accent for sale (4,773 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings