Hyundai Azera Review
The 2013 Hyundai Azera ranks 10 out of 10 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Azera, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Hyundai Azera pleases reviewers with its sleek styling and tech-heavy interior, but other large cars are less expensive and earn higher performance scores.
The 2013 Hyundai Azera is powered by a V6 engine, and test drivers note that it provides ample power in most situations. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and generally earns praise for its smooth, refined shifts. The EPA reports that the 2013 Azera earns 20/29 mpg city/highway. While those estimates are high for the class, cars like the Buick LaCrosse and Ford Taurus are both available with four-cylinder engines that use less fuel. Auto writers don’t consider the Azera fun-to-drive, noting that its suspension is tuned for comfort rather than athletic handling. As a result, one reviewer says that the Azera’s highway ride isn’t as composed as he would like, while another notes that the Azera’s steering isn’t as responsive as the system found in the LaCrosse.
Test drivers say that the 2013 Azera features a thoroughly modern interior design that’s built with premium materials. Most note an abundance of passenger space, saying that even the back seats offer plenty of room to stretch out. The Azera also has a competitive amount of cargo space, though the Taurus has a slightly larger trunk. The Azera has a higher base price than most affordable large cars, but it also leads the pack with more standard equipment. A backup camera, leather seats, push-button start, navigation, Bluetooth, a USB port and dual-zone climate control all come standard, while an optional technology package adds features that include a power rear sunshade, an Infinity sound system, rear parking sensors and a panoramic moonroof.
- "It offers the best features (many of them standard) and still qualifies as a terrific value. If only it drove better." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Once you move beyond the Hyundai lineup, however, the Azera represents an admirable choice among other large sedans. It suits an older audience that will transport adults in the rear seat, not kids, and it should offer appropriately luxurious surroundings at a relatively affordable price." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "If you're getting the impression that we like the Azera, you haven't been led astray. The car feels good to drive, looks stylish enough to hold its head high among some of the segment's more anonymous contenders and delivers an attractive interior loaded with content." -- Autoblog (2012)
- "The new car isn't just better than the old one, a false comparison carmakers commonly frame, but it is thoroughly competitive with the segment's heavy hitters." -- MSNBC (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
The all-new Toyota Avalon gets slightly better fuel economy, and reviewers say that its cabin is roomy and upscale, just like the Azera’s. The Avalon also offers a long list of standard features and a lower base price, though the Azera does trump it with a standard navigation system.
Like the Avalon, the Chrysler 300 comes close to matching the Azera’s list of standard equipment, and test drivers love the 300’s luxurious interior and powerful V6. Additionally, some critics say that the 300 excels with one of the most user-friendly infotainment systems on the market.
Details: 2013 Hyundai Azera
The 2013 Hyundai Azera seats five and has front-wheel drive. A 3.3-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The Azera comes in one trim, though an optional technology package adds to its list of standard features. The Azera was redesigned last year, and sees no major changes for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Hyundai Azera
- View the best prices for the 2013 Hyundai Azera
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Hyundai Azera
- Search used Hyundai Azera for sale (1,156 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings