Hyundai Azera Review
The 2014 Hyundai Azera ranks 9 out of 10 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Azera, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers are impressed with the Azera’s stylish, comfortable interior, but are disappointed with its lackluster handling.
The 2014 Hyundai Azera is powered by a V6 engine, and reviewers note that it delivers fairly strong, linear acceleration. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and earns praise for its smooth shifts, though some say it shifts a bit slowly. The 2014 Azera gets an EPA-estimated 19/29 mpg city/highway, which is on par for an affordable large car. Test drivers say the Azera has a comfortable ride on smooth roads, but that the ride can be harsh on rough pavement. Critics don’t think the Azera is as fun to drive as other cars in the class, and they write that it has numb steering and leans noticeably while cornering. They do think the Azera has strong brakes.
Reviewers write that the 2014 Azera has very sophisticated interior styling, though some note that a closer inspection reveals a number of cheap-feeling plastic materials. As with most affordable large cars, automotive journalists write that the Azera’s front and rear seats are comfortable and very roomy. They add that the back seat offers a generous amount of legroom and plenty of headroom for tall passengers. At 16.3 cubic feet, the Azera’s trunk size is on par for the class. The 2014 Hyundai Azera comes standard with leather upholstery, power-adjustable, heated front seats, a 6-inch LCD display, a rearview camera, proximity key, push-button start, a six-speaker audio system, Bluetooth, a USB/iPod port, satellite radio and dual-zone automatic climate control. Available features include navigation, an 8-inch touch-screen display, a 14-speaker Infinity audio system, rear parking sensors and a panoramic sunroof. Test drivers think the audio, climate and navigation controls in the Azera are user-friendly, and they say the Infinity audio system provides exceptional sound quality.
- "If you think the Azera's sleek and stylish exterior promises equally impressive ability in the corners, be prepared for a letdown. While the ride is smooth and comfortable around town, it's not as much fun to drive as the Nissan Maxima, Chevrolet Impala or Chrysler 300." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As competent as the 2014 Hyundai Azera is at transporting people and their possessions, there are a number of other large sedans that perform just as well. The Toyota Avalon has a slightly more refined interior and offers a more fuel-efficient hybrid model. The Buick LaCrosse and Chrysler 300 are a little classier, while providing available all-wheel drive and different engine options as well." -- Edmunds
- "Don't worry, the Azera still nails big-car basics like a pillow-soft ride, light steering and a cosseting back seat. But this Hyundai clearly isn't for folks who want to stay the course. Rather, it's for those who look at other sedans and see a lack of innovation. Full of pleasant surprises, the 2014 Azera just might change the way you think about Hyundai." -- AutoTrader
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers write that the Toyota Avalon has composed handling and a quiet, comfortable ride. Test drivers agree that the Avalon’s V6 is very powerful and that the Avalon’s six-speed automatic transmission delivers smooth, rapid shifts. The Avalon’s beautiful interior design also earns praise from critics, as do its first-rate cabin materials.
Though they say it’s no sports sedan, test drivers write that the Chevrolet Impala has agile handling for a car its size. Critics also say the Impala’s interior is decidedly upscale, with a sophisticated design and rich, soft-touch materials.
Details: 2014 Hyundai Azera
The 2014 Hyundai Azera is a five-seat, front-wheel drive sedan. A 3.3-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The Azera comes in two trims: base and Limited. The Azera was last fully redesigned in 2012, and since it sees few changes for 2014, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Azera
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Azera
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Azera
- Search used Hyundai Azera for sale (1,163 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings