2008 Hyundai Azera Recalls & Reliability
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
SUSPENSIONRecall Date: 08/12/2013
- Summary: Hyundai is recalling certain model year 2006-2010 Sonata vehicles manufactured March 1, 2005, through January 21, 2010; and model year 2006-2011 Azera vehicles manufactured September 27, 2005, through November 22, 2010 originally sold in, or currently registered in, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Road salt and water can enter portions of the rear crossmember, leading to corrosion of the crossmember steel. This may lead to detachment of one of the rear control arms.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 239,000
- Consequence: Control arm separation may suddenly change the rear wheel alignment, affecting the handling of the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will repair or replace the crossmember assembly. The recall is expected to begin by the end of September 2013. Owners may contact Hyundai Custom Care Center at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's recall number is 113.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 13V354000
AIR BAGS:FRONTALRecall Date: 12/22/2009
- Summary: HYUNDAI DE PUERTO RICO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006 THROUGH 2009 AZERA VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM SEPTEMBER 27, 2005, THROUGH OCTOBER 1, 2008. THE WIRING HARNESS FOR THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT BELT TENSION SENSOR MAY SUSTAIN DAMAGE AFTER REPEATED USE OF THE SEAT BELT. IF THE SEAT BELT TENSION SENSOR WIRING BECOMES DAMAGED THE AIR BAG WILL NOT DEPLOY IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH NECESSITATING FRONT AIR BAG DEPLOYMENT.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 80
- Consequence: THE SEAT OCCUPANT IS AT AN INCREASED RISK OF INJURY SHOULD THE AIR BAG NOT DEPLOY AS INTENDED.
- Remedy: HYUNDAI WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT BELT AND INSTALL A NEW SEAT BELT TENSION SENSOR WIRING HARNESS CLIP, IF NECESSARY, AND REROUTE THE RIGHT FRONT SEAT BELT TENSION SENSOR WIRING AND SECURE THE WIRING WITH A NEW HARNESS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HYUNDAI DE PUERTO RICO 787-999-3333.
- Notes: HYUNDAI SAFETY RECALL NO. 094. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 10V007000
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTSRecall Date: 02/13/2008
- Summary: HYUNDAI-KIA IS RECALLING 4,085 REPLACEMENT HEADLAMP ASSEMBLIES SOLD FOR USE ON 2006-2008 SONATA AND AZERA VEHICLES. THESE HEADLAMP ASSEMBLIES MAY NOT HAVE BEEN ALIGNED PROPERLY AND FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE PHOTOMETRIC REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 4085
- Consequence: IMPROPER AIMING OF THE HEADLAMP MAY RESULT IN POOR VISIBILITY POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
- Remedy: HYUNDAI-KIA DEALERS HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED AND INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR SUPPLY TO HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA. NONE OF THE HEADLAMPS WERE SOLD AS RETAIL. AS A RESULT, AN OWNER NOTIFICATION LETTER WILL NOT BE ISSUED.
- Notes: HYUNDAI-KIA RECALL CAMPAIGN 080. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 08E021000
Based on the U.S. News analysis of reliability information from a number of different sources, the Hyundai Azera receives very good marks for predicted reliability. Hyundai offers a five-year/60,000-mile new vehicle limited warranty.
The Hyundai Azera also comes with a ten-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty and five-years of 24-hour roadside assistance.
The powertrain warranty is particular noteworthy, which Forbes calls "one of the most extensive warranties in the business." The San Francisco Chronicle cites this warranty as "Hyundai's big sales clincher," not always found on cars in this price range.
The San Antonio Express-News believes that "despite Hyundai's remarkable improvement in quality and reliability over the past few years, it's going to take a while longer to convince the buying public that Hyundai vehicles are worth as much as Toyotas." Road and Track notes that Hyundai "is continuing to build better cars each year, to the point that most of its models are competitive with their Japanese counterparts." Newsday concludes that "reliability, once a sore spot for Hyundai, appears to be becoming a non-issue."
Warranty information last updated: 2/26/09
Next Steps: Hyundai Azera