Hyundai Azera Performance
Reviewers agree that the 2014 Hyundai Azera offers a fairly powerful V6, smooth acceleration and a comfortable ride on most road surfaces. However, they note that Azera isn’t as fun to drive as some competitors, and that it exhibits marked body lean while cornering and has a numb steering system.
- "You'll get no argument from us that the Azera's 293-horsepower V6 is a formidable engine, or that its 6-speed automatic is one of the most competent transmissions we've tested. However, when it comes to the Azera's overall ride and handling, things are not so rosy." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, the Azera inspires confidence, with none of the floaty feeling you might associate with large sedans. Truth be told, though, all its competitors can make the same claim and some are a little more involving to drive." -- Edmunds
- "Azera is executed well enough in every respect that it is a worthwhile competitor to the Avalon, Buick LaCrosse, and Chrysler 300, even if it can't quite match those cars in ride composure." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Despite the presence of 293 horses, each driver in our group declared, ‘Needs more power!’ within minutes of getting behind the wheel. Which is not to say it doesn't have enough power for Azera owners. It just doesn't have enough power for us; try not to confuse the two." -- Car and Driver (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Hyundai Azera comes with a 293-horsepower, 3.3-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The 2014 Azera gets an EPA-estimated 19/29 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class.
Critics say the Azera’s V6 has smooth, reasonably strong acceleration and enough power on tap for easy highway passing and merging. According to some test drivers, the Azera’s six-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly but a bit slowly.
- "The 2014 Hyundai Azera offers fairly lively acceleration, while the six-speed automatic transmission provides smooth but leisurely shifts. It's an entirely suitable combination, though some rivals do offer a greater variety of engines, including four-cylinder and hybrid options." -- Edmunds
- "… although the Azera's V6 fails to raise the bar, it's an admirably refined motor that should please most drivers. There's plenty of smooth power for passing and merging, and that's largely what matters in this segment." -- AutoTrader
- "Though Azera is tuned for a smooth ‘flow’ of acceleration rather than snappy response from a stop, its pick-up is pleasingly robust overall. Power is ample in both city and highway driving, and the transmission is cooperative." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The only available powertrain in the Azera is a 3.3-liter V-6 lashed to a six-speed automatic transmission with a manual shifting mode and steering-wheel-mounted paddles. It's smooth and quiet, revs willingly if not lustily, and shifts almost imperceptibly." -- Car and Driver (2012)
Handling and Braking
Reviewers write that the 2014 Azera delivers a comfortable ride as long as the roads are smooth, but critics complain that the ride is harsh on rough pavement. The automotive press says the Azera has numb steering and significant body lean during cornering, though they do say the Azera’s brakes are strong.
- "Hyundai's electric power steering lacks feel and the Azera's suspension, while comfortable over smooth surfaces, is easily unsettled over rough or choppy pavement. Toss in the 19-inch wheels that come standard with the Premium Package and the Azera's ride goes from acceptable to harsh, but with no return of improved grip or cornering." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "On the road, Azera is all about comfort and isolation from the elements. Road and wind noise are minimal, while the soft suspension filters out impacts from all but the roughest roads. Less optimally, the steering feels isolated despite some claimed improvements for 2014, and there's a bunch of body roll in corners." -- AutoTrader
- "Hyundai tuned the Azera's suspension for optimal ride comfort, and indeed, we've found that this large sedan rides quite nicely on the highway and around town. As a bonus, handling around turns is steady and secure." -- Edmunds
- "The 2012 Azera is blessed with a confident enough brake pedal, however, and a ride that's soft enough to be comfortable without straying too far into marshmallow territory." -- Autoblog (2012)
Next Steps: Hyundai Azera
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Azera
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Azera
- Search used Hyundai Azera for sale (2,064 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings