Hyundai Azera Performance
Auto writers report that the 2015 Hyundai Azera has steady acceleration and a comfortable ride on smooth roads. However, some think it loses its composure over uneven pavement and isn't a very engaging car to drive.
- "We'll say right off the bat that the 2015 Azera from Hyundai has one of the best 6-speed automatic transmissions we've tested, and that its 292-horsepower V6 is a force to be reckoned with. That said, the Azera's racy good looks don't translate into the promise of a spirited driving experience." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, the Azera inspires confidence, with none of the floaty feeling you might associate with large sedans. Truth be told, though, all its competitors can make the same claim and some are a little more involving to drive." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "Azera is executed well enough in every respect that it is a worthwhile competitor to the Avalon, Buick LaCrosse, and Chrysler 300, even if it can't quite match those cars in ride composure." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Hyundai Azera comes with a 3.3-liter V6 engine that makes 293 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard. According to the EPA, the 2015 Azera gets 20/29 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class.
Test drivers say the Azera doesn't have particularly brisk acceleration, but they think the V6 has sufficient power for most drivers. They find that the six-speed automatic transmission doesn’t shift quickly enough for spirited driving.
- "With nearly 300 hp on tap, the Hyundai Azera's 3.3-liter V6 offers plenty of punch in most driving situations, even with four adults on board. The six-speed automatic transmission is smooth enough, but it shifts in a leisurely fashion that may not please more demanding drivers. Most buyers will be content with this setup, but rivals offer a greater variety of engines. …" -- Edmunds
- "It's among the category's more impressive powertrains, and one of the most efficient; that EPA highway estimate of 29 mpg, in particular, is notable considering the power of the engine and the size of the car it has to move." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "… although the Azera's V6 fails to raise the bar, it's an admirably refined motor that should please most drivers. There's plenty of smooth power for passing and merging, and that's largely what matters in this segment." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Though Azera is tuned for a smooth ‘flow’ of acceleration rather than snappy response from a stop, its pick-up is pleasingly robust overall. Power is ample in both city and highway driving, and the transmission is cooperative." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Handling and Braking
Critics find that the front-wheel drive Hyundai Azera has bland handling dynamics. They say it has stable and controlled handling but is not nearly as nimble as other rivals. They also say the Azera's steering feels numb and disconnected. While reviewers think the Azera rides well over smooth pavement, some find that it struggles to stay composed over small bumps and uneven roads.
- "The electric-assist power steering feels vague and unresponsive. The suspension delivers a comfortable ride, but only so long as the road surface remains smooth - over bumps and road distortions, the Azera feels unsettled and even jarring at times. The Limited's 19-inch wheels might have something to do with the roughness. We'd say it was a fair trade-off if the bigger tires came with improved cornering, but sadly, that's not the case." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Although the 2015 Hyundai Azera certainly is tuned mainly to deliver a pleasant ride, you'll find its handling around turns steady and confident. Still, rivals like the Avalon and the 300 blend sharper handling with acceptable ride comfort, and they steer a little more crisply, too." -- Edmunds
- "Handling is safe and predictable but far from exciting; other models in this segment offer more engaging dynamics." -- Left Lane News
- "On the road, Azera is all about comfort and isolation from the elements. Road and wind noise are minimal, while the soft suspension filters out impacts from all but the roughest roads. Less optimally, the steering feels isolated despite some claimed improvements for 2014, and there's a bunch of body roll in corners." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Next Steps: Hyundai Azera
- View the best prices for the 2015 Hyundai Azera
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Hyundai Azera
- Search used Hyundai Azera for sale (1,171 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals