Hyundai Azera Performance
Reviewers agree that the 2013 Hyundai Azera’s powerful engine and refined automatic transmission make it stand out in the affordable large car segment. However, some say that the Azera’s ride quality and steering could be better.
- "There's no question the big Hyundai Azera is comfortable and its 293-horsepower V6 engine and 6-speed automatic transmission are smooth and responsive. But depending on your expectations, overall ride and handling may be an issue." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, the Azera feels and behaves like a big luxury sedan. It delivers perfect competence, but it's so reserved that you rarely notice the car itself." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "Despite the presence of 293 horses, each driver in our group declared, ‘Needs more power!’ within minutes of getting behind the wheel. Which is not to say it doesn't have enough power for Azera owners. It just doesn't have enough power for us; try not to confuse the two." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "While its performance is commendable, what's impressive is its behavior on the highway. The engine revs smoothly to redline, and the cabin stays remarkably quiet, even at speeds above 80 mph." -- Road and Track (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The 2013 Hyundai Azera comes with a 293-horsepower, 3.3-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The EPA reports that the 2013 Azera gets 20/29 mpg city/highway, which is similar to the Chrysler 300’s estimates.
Test drivers agree that the Azera earns points for its powerful V6 engine and competitive fuel economy. Most reviewers also appreciate the Azera’s six-speed automatic transmission, saying that it operates smoothly and quietly. Still, one auto writer says that the transmission shifts slowly, and that as a result, the Azera’s powertrain doesn’t seem as refined as it should be.
- "It's among the category's more impressive powertrains, and one of the most efficient; that EPA highway estimate of 30 mpg, in particular, is notable considering the power of the engine and the size of the car it has to move." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Gearchanges are quite smooth, but rather slow, reinforcing an impression of quiet yet unremarkable composure." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "The only available powertrain in the Azera is a 3.3-liter V-6 lashed to a six-speed automatic transmission with a manual shifting mode and steering-wheel-mounted paddles. It's smooth and quiet, revs willingly if not lustily, and shifts almost imperceptibly." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "As impressive as the acceleration can be, the six-speed automatic is the real star of the driveline. Shifts are imperceptibly smooth and well timed. The gearbox is perfect for a vehicle designed to lure older, more affluent buyers out of their Lexus and onto the Hyundai floor." -- Autoblog (2012)
Handling and Braking
While reviewers agree that the 2013 Azera offers a comfort-tuned ride, some say that its handling isn’t as composed as they would like. One auto writer says that the Azera has a ponderous ride that reminds him of an old-school American car, while another notes that the Azera’s highway ride falls short of his expectations. The Azera’s steering also draws criticism, as one reviewer says that it’s slower and less precise than the Buick LaCrosse’s system.
- "If you demand a highway ride that is controlled and well-damped, you'll probably want to look elsewhere." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "In terms of handling, the 2012 Hyundai Azera feels rather soft, like a traditional American sedan for traditional Americans. It rolls and wallows compared to a Sonata or Genesis, although it nevertheless responds quite well to avoidance maneuvers." -- Edmunds (2012)
- "This car's steering is a tick more remote than the Buick [LaCrosse]. Its on-center response is slow, but add in some angle and the front end bites abruptly. The Buick's steering is no great shakes, but it's better than this." -- Motor Trend (2012)
- "The 2012 Azera is blessed with a confident enough brake pedal, however, and a ride that's soft enough to be comfortable without straying too far into marshmallow territory." -- Autoblog (2012)
Next Steps: Hyundai Azera
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Hyundai Azera
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Hyundai Azera for sale (1,329 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Hyundai Azera
- See what others paid for the 2013 Hyundai Azera
- View Hyundai Azera Photos
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings