2008 Hyundai Elantra Review
This review was written when the 2008 Hyundai Elantra was new.
The Elantra delivers a relatively inexpensive base price, plenty of safety features and a fun drive.
The 2008 Hyundai Elantra is largely praised as a well-equipped, spacious and pleasing vehicle at a good price. According to our analysis, the Elantra is an attractive choice for the budget-buyer in a weak economy, and it offers a lengthy warranty, but several auto writers report there is minimal driver satisfaction.
Redesigned in 2007, this year's Elantra is available in two trims: the base GLS and the SE. For 2008, Hyundai dropped the Elantra's top of the line Limited trim, and many of its features are now included in an optional package for the SE. All models have a choice of a standard five-speed manual transmission and an optional four-speed automatic transmission. If you're interested in an affordable small car, you should also consider the Honda Civic.
- "The Hyundai Elantra offers a roomy interior for the class, a good package of safety equipment, and a strong warranty. Redesigned in 2007, the styling holds its own in the class." -- New Car Test Drive
- "The latest Elantra is bigger than the previous edition, and if it's not exciting, it is a good value." -- Car and Driver
- "The Elantra faces tough competition, and compares very well with the best-known cars in the compact class." -- The Auto Channel
- "Witness the evolution of a winner." -- Orlando Sentinel
- "Hyundai has become a favorite with the kind of people who sharpen their pencils before making their purchase. These days, Hyundai gives them value and quality, not cheapness." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The Elantra is a competent little set of wheels that hits all the marks on the good-small-car checklist. High fuel economy? Check. Safety equipment? Check. Passenger and trunk space? Check. Long warranty? Yep. Inexpensive price? Check -- it still undercuts its Japanese competitors, though the price gap is narrowing. … What the Elantra lacks is pizzazz." -- About.com