Hyundai Equus Review
The 2013 Hyundai Equus ranks 7 out of 8 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 20 published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Equus, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
A powerful engine and a feature-packed interior make the 2013 Hyundai Equus a full-fledged super luxury car, but critics say that its interior lacks the panache of rival flagship sedans.
The 2013 Hyundai Equus comes with a V8 engine that reviewers say is powerful and refined. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. The EPA reports that the 2013 Equus gets 15/23 mpg city/highway, which is a bit low for the class, even among V8-powered super luxury cars. Test drivers agree that the Equus has a comfortable, quiet ride, which makes it similar to cars like the Lexus LS. However, some also point out that other cars in the class are more fun to drive, or offer better handling. Additionally, a few test drivers dislike the Equus’ steering, which doesn’t transmit as much road feel as they’d like.
Auto writers note that the Equus is jam-packed with standard features and costs less than most of the competition, and in theory, that makes it a real bargain in comparison with other super luxury cars. However, many reviewers note that its interior materials aren’t as nice as what you’ll find in other cars in the class. As a result, some say that the Equus lacks the premium feel of cars built by Audi and Mercedes-Benz. Still, few can find fault with the Equus’ comfortable seats, which offer plenty of space in both rows. The base Equus Signature comes with a sunroof, a power rear sunshade, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, front and rear parking sensors, a backup camera, navigation and a 17-speaker Lexicon audio system with a USB port, HD Radio, satellite radio and Bluetooth. The Ultimate trim adds a forward-view cornering camera, a power trunk lid, a rear-seat entertainment system and a rear-console refrigerator.
- "However, just because Outback and Morton's are both steakhouses doesn't mean that filet mignon tastes the same in both places. The Equus might line up with high-end flagship luxury sedans on paper, but once you get up close, you can see that there's more to an automobile than just its laundry list of features." -- Edmunds
- "The big, lavishly equipped car takes aim at premium sedans costing tens of thousands more. And if it comes up a little short in ultimate handling ability compared to Germany's best (as indeed today's Lexus LS does), the 2013 Hyundai Equus has the style, performance, luxury and amenities to bring its value pitch to the flagship-sedan category." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Equus is an anomaly in the market, and not necessarily in a good way. It's a vehicle no one asked for that arrived on U.S. shores already a few years out of date. With new competition leap-frogging already-more-updated models, the Equus simply can't compete, no matter how terrific the power plant." -- Cars.com (2012)
- "The Hyundai Equus is inarguably a fine luxury sedan offered at an attractive price. Buy it for that reason and be happy. But don't waste time or energy trying to one-up your BMW neighbors." -- The Washington Post (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
The Lexus LS is completely redesigned for 2013, and reviewers agree that the LS offers a quiet, comfortable ride, just like the Equus. The LS is also available with all-wheel drive or as a luxury hybrid model.
The Mercedes-Benz E-Class isn’t as spacious as the Equus, but reviewers love its attractively designed cabin, which is built with top-notch materials. The E-Class also earns a great safety score, and it’s available with a wide range of engine options.
Details: 2013 Hyundai Equus
The 2013 Hyundai Equus comes is Signature (base) and Ultimate trim levels, which seat five and four, respectively. A 5.0-liter V8 engine is standard, which is paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. The Equus sees no major changes for 2013. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 through the current model year.
Next Steps: Hyundai Equus
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Hyundai Equus
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Hyundai Equus for sale (199 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Hyundai Equus
- See what others paid for the 2013 Hyundai Equus
- View Hyundai Equus Photos
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings