Hyundai Equus Performance
The 2015 Hyundai Equus has the soft, serene ride quality that reviewers expect from a luxury sedan. However, some remark that because it is tuned for such a soft ride, its handling is not very nimble. The Equus has ample engine power from its standard V8 engine, critics say, and its automatic transmission is responsive.
- "Overall, the Equus drove as it should: smooth, with linear acceleration and a mostly quiet ride for the all of the passengers." -- AutoWeek (2014)
- "The overriding feeling of driving the Equus is one of comfortable luxury, with plenty of power on tap from the 429 hp V-8 whenever driving needs get urgent." -- Popular Mechanics (2014)
- "Equus also offers up a lovely straight-line ride, especially when the three-mode air suspension is set to Normal (Sport and Snow being the other two). Here high-speed stability is first rate, and swales in the asphalt, grooved sections of highway, Michigan-spec potholes and other surface-based annoyances don't really register inside of the cabin." -- Autoblog (2014)
Acceleration and Power
The Hyundai Equus is powered by a 5.0-liter V8 that produces 429 horsepower. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard. The Equus' 15/23 mpg city/highway EPA fuel economy rating is comparable with that of other V8-powered luxury sedans, but low for the class overall.
Auto journalists agree that the 2015 Equus is never wanting for power. They say the transmission is responsive, acceleration is decently quick considering the Equus' size, and there is plenty of power for passing maneuvers on the highway.
- "With 429 horsepower, the 5.0-liter V8 engine has more than enough gusto to move this big rear-wheel-drive sedan." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "However, the 5.0-liter V8 is certainly capable of propelling this big sedan with a remarkable sense of urgency when spurred on by a heavy right foot. The eight-speed automatic transmission is a good match for the engine, providing smooth shifts in everyday operation and much more rapid gearchanges in Sport mode." -- Edmunds
- "Befitting this ultra-premium segment, the 5.0-liter V8 and eight-speed automatic gearbox offered ample power and refinement. We found the gearbox making decisive moves and thought the torque sufficient to motivate the mass at hand." -- Left Lane News (2014)
- "In terms of the driving experience, the Hyundai's V8 is the star of the show. With the eight-speed transmission on board, power was plentiful and not once did the Equus feel slow. Customers certainly won't be racing, but it's nice to know you have overtaking power at your disposal when needed." -- AutoWeek (2014)
Handling and Braking
The 2015 Equus has rear-wheel drive. Test drivers report that its ride quality is extremely cushioned and comfortable. However, a number of critics remark that the suspension is tuned a bit too much toward comfort, and as a result, its handling isn't particularly agile. Additionally, some test drivers note that the Hyundai Equus does not have the shortest stopping distance, and its steering doesn't offer much road feedback to the driver.
- "The ride is certainly comfortable and cosseting, but it lacks the truly refined balance of comfort and handling control offered by its rivals. Braking distances are also on the long side, and no all-wheel-drive model is offered." -- Edmunds
- "The Equus' ride, rather, is pillow-soft thanks to an air suspension that quells all but the most offensive road imperfections. Highway cruising is relaxed, stable and hushed." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "An electronically controlled air suspension with adaptive damping provides a cushy ride but not the precise handling dynamics of more expensive rivals. …" -- Left Lane News
- "The steering feels a little disconnected from the car, which seems a tad bit slow to react. More feedback would be welcome to avoid feeling like you're driving through gel." -- AutoWeek (2014)
Next Steps: Hyundai Equus
- View the best prices for the 2015 Hyundai Equus
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Hyundai Equus
- Search used Hyundai Equus for sale (329 listings)
- See Luxury Large Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals