Hyundai Genesis Coupe Review
The 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe ranks 8 out of 10 Affordable Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 26 published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
With more power and an updated look, reviewers say the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe is closing in on competing affordable sports cars.
Updates are usually a good thing, and test drivers say that the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe’s changes are more than skin deep. While the new exterior styling and interior updates certainly add to its allure, the big changes are under the hood, where both available engines see a major bump in power for 2013.
Overall, critics approve of the additional power and refinement, which makes the 2013 Genesis Coupe more attractive than the outgoing 2012 model. However, some question if the revamped Genesis Coupe has what it takes to convert shoppers who would consider cars like the Ford Mustang and Nissan 370Z. Car and Driver says, “That the 2013 Genesis coupe offers more power and is undeniably improved will certainly help, but the car is going to need several more record sales years and perhaps another generation of refinement to catch the pony at the front of the pack.”
In addition to those challenges, the 2013 Genesis Coupe may seem less attractive to some value-oriented shoppers since it’s priced higher than the 2012 model. As a result, the 2013 Genesis Coupe is also more expensive than rivals like the Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Mazda Miata. However, the Genesis Coupe comes with more standard features, which may appeal to shoppers who don’t want to add costly options. Thanks to its features list, competent engines and balanced handling, the 2013 Genesis Coupe is a great choice if you’re looking for a well-equipped sports car. You’ll also get a lengthy powertrain warranty and one of the best reliability ratings in the class.
Other Cars to Consider
If you like the Genesis Coupe’s rear-wheel drive platform, but want a sports car with stellar handling, consider the Scion FR-S or Subaru BRZ. You’ll give up some trunk space and power, but reviewers love the cornering ability and responsive engine that the BRZ and FR-S share.
However, if the BRZ or FR-S don’t have enough interior space, and you want more power, consider the Ford Mustang. The base Mustang is not only more powerful than the base Genesis Coupe, it also has a lower base price. You’ll also get comparable passenger space and a larger trunk with the Mustang, but you’ll have to spring for some tech features that come standard on the Genesis Coupe.
Hyundai Genesis Coupe: The Details
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe has been refreshed for 2013 with more powerful engines, as well as interior and exterior updates. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine or a V6 are available. Regardless of which engine you choose, a manual transmission is standard while a new automatic transmission is optional. For 2013, six trims are available, which include the base 2.0T, 2.0T R-Spec, 2.0T Premium, 3.8 R-Spec, 3.8 Grand Touring and 3.8 Track.
The Hyundai Genesis sedan is reviewed separately.
- "For 2013, the Genesis coupe has indeed been polished and primped both inside and outside, but it also gets a powertrain pump-up that takes this mid-cycle face-lift beyond the analogous level of a quick Botox treatment." -- Automobile Magazine
- "With more power under the hood and added features, the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe furthers its already favorable standing." -- Edmunds
- "Hyundai is ready to rock again with a much-improved version, with more power, better looks and first-rate refinement." -- Road and Track
- "We could take or leave the new front end styling, but the big increases in power for both the standard and upgrade engines definitely strengthen Hyundai's credibility in the ponycar derby." -- Popular Mechanics
- "The upgraded interior, serious bump in power and suspension tweaks all make the Genesis Coupe more attractive than ever, and while the platform still has its bugs, this two-door remains a performance bargain." -- Autoblog
Next Steps: Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Hyundai Genesis Coupe for sale (1,809 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Hyundai Genesis-Coupe
- See what others paid for the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
- View Hyundai Genesis Coupe Photos
- See Affordable Sports Cars rankings