Hyundai Genesis Review
The 2014 Hyundai Genesis ranks 8 out of 14 Luxury Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Genesis, as well as reliability and safety data.
Though some critics say that other luxury large cars offer slightly better driving dynamics, they agree that the 2014 Hyundai Genesis has a high-quality interior and powerful engine choices.
The base 2014 Genesis 3.8 comes with a V6 engine that reviewers say is strong and refined, while the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec has a more powerful V8 engine that automotive journalists say delivers a significant boost in acceleration. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers write that it is responsive and quick-shifting. The 2014 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 gets an EPA-estimated 18/27 mpg city/highway, which is less than what many six-cylinder luxury large cars get. Most test drivers think the Genesis 3.8 has a compliant ride, but some say that bumpy roads can jostle passengers a bit too much. Some reviewers also note that the Genesis’ steering could provide more road feel, but most agree that the Genesis has fairly composed handling.
Automotive journalists write that the 2014 Hyundai Genesis’ interior has solid construction and high-quality materials. Reviewers say the Genesis has comfortable and spacious front and rear seats and user-friendly audio and climate controls. The Genesis also has a large trunk for the class. Standard features include proximity key, push-button start, heated front seats, leather upholstery, Bluetooth and satellite radio. The Genesis’ optional features include a heated steering wheel, a 17-speaker Lexicon sound system and the Hyundai Assurance Connected Care telematics system.
- "Powerful, feature filled and equally comfortable on the highway as it is winding back roads, the Genesis proves you don't have to pay a lot to get a lot." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Hyundai's Genesis delivers premium interior furnishings, high-end features, and impressive powertrain performance without the price tag associated with most premium-large cars." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The Hyundai might not feel as special and lacks the brand cachet of its established rivals, but it delivers a premium luxury experience without the premium price." -- Edmunds (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers praise the Audi A6 for its agile handling and composed, comfortable ride. They also say it has a beautifully designed interior with top-notch materials.
Test drivers agree that the Acura TL has a comfortable ride and agile handling. The TL is also available with all-wheel drive, and critics love its attractive, high-quality interior.
Details: 2014 Hyundai Genesis
The 2014 Hyundai Genesis is a five-seat, rear-wheel drive sedan that comes in 3.8 and 5.0 R-Spec trims. A 3.8-liter V6 engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission are standard, and a 5.0-liter V8 comes with the top trim. The Hyundai Genesis sees a few updates for 2014, but hasn’t been fully redesigned since its debut for the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Genesis
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Genesis
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Genesis
- Search used Hyundai Genesis for sale (3,293 listings)
- See Luxury Large Cars rankings