Hyundai Santa Fe Review
The 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe ranks 4 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Santa Fe, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe is ranked:
With a high-quality interior, refined ride, lots of standard features and a substantial warranty, reviewers say the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe will appeal to many SUV shoppers. Because it has the best combination of positive reviews, price and long-term ownership costs in its class, we named the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe the Best 3-Row Midsize SUV for the Money.
The two-row 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport comes with a four-cylinder engine that reviewers note makes adequate power. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine is optional, and test drivers say this engine produces ample power. The three-row Santa Fe has a V6 engine that is also praised by test drivers for providing plenty of power. Regardless of which model you choose, a six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers think it is generally smooth and refined. At up to 20/27 mpg city/highway, the Santa Fe Sport gets good fuel economy among two-row SUVs. The Santa Fe's fuel economy is also good for three-row SUVs, at 18/25 mpg. Reviewers say the Santa Fe offers refined handling and a smooth ride, but isn't the most exciting SUV to drive in the class. Test drivers are impressed with the strength of the Santa Fe's brakes, and say its steering is linear and direct, if a bit numb-feeling.
Reviewers are impressed with the 2014 Santa Fe's cabin, noting that it is well-built, with a pleasing design and lots of soft-touch materials. The Santa Fe Sport seats five and has good cargo space among other two-row midsize SUVs. The three-row Santa Fe seats up to seven and offers less cargo space than many three-row crossovers. Reviewers say the front seats in both models are long-haul comfortable and that the driver seat offers ample adjustment to find a comfortable driving position. Test drivers like that the Santa Fe's second row slides back and forth to accommodate longer legs or more cargo, but agree that the third row is best left to kids. Test drivers note that the Santa Fe's climate and audio adjustments are fairly straightforward. They also write that the sound quality of the optional 12-speaker Infinity stereo system is good, but complain that the optional navigation system has an overly complicated menu structure. Standard features include a six-speaker stereo, Bluetooth, a USB port and Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system. A backup camera is optional on the Santa Fe Sport and standard on the three-row Santa Fe. Other options include an 8-inch touch screen display, dual-zone automatic climate control, blind spot monitoring and rear parking sensors.
- "If you're shopping for a competent, stylish, efficient compact SUV with lots of features and an affordable price, plus a great warranty, the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport should be on your list." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "There are lots of things to like about the new 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe. It's roomy, rides well, and comes with loads of creature comforts." -- Truck Trend
- "Continuing its string of hits, the Santa Fe should satisfy just about anyone looking for a three-row family hauler." -- Left Lane News
- "A major redesign pushes the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport to the front of the midsize SUV pack with a new turbocharged engine, dynamic styling and competitive pricing." -- Cars.com (2013)
- "Overall though, this is another impressive effort from Hyundai. If you're looking at crossovers or SUVs, be sure to drive the Santa Fe that best approximates your passenger-hauling needs." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
The five-seat Subaru Forester was redesigned for 2014, and reviewers praise it for its spacious back seat and ample cargo space. The Forester gets better fuel economy than the Santa Fe Sport and comes standard with all-wheel drive.
The three-row Dodge Durango is well-liked among reviewers for its powerful V6 engine and smooth, refined eight-speed automatic transmission. Reviewers say its available Uconnect infotainment system is one of the easiest-to-use systems on the market.
Details: 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe
The 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe is available in two models. The two-row Santa Fe Sport seats five and is available with either a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine or a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. The three-row Santa Fe seats up to seven and has a 3.3-liter V6 engine. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard on both the Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport. Trim levels for the Santa Fe are GLS and Limited. The Santa Fe was redesigned for the 2013 model year and is largely unchanged this year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Santa Fe
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe
- Search used Hyundai Santa Fe for sale (8,111 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings