Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Review
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ranks 16 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has an attractive interior with upscale materials, but other hybrid sedans are more fuel-efficient and more fun to drive, auto writers say.
The 2015 Sonata Hybrid is powered by a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, and many test drivers think they provide strong acceleration. Some also note that the Sonata Hybrid's six-speed automatic transmission is more responsive than the CVTs found in most hybrid rivals. However, other critics write that the Sonata Hybrid could use quicker throttle response and does not drive smoothly at low speeds. The 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid gets 36/40 mpg city/highway, which is good for a midsize car but lower than what most hybrid competitors achieve. Most auto writers think the Sonata Hybrid has a comfortable ride and poised handling, though some note that it rides roughly over large bumps. Others write that it has poor tire grip and uncommunicative steering, which make it dull to drive. While critics complain that many hybrids have touchy brakes, they note that the Sonata Hybrid's brakes are easy to control.
Most automotive journalists think the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has an eye-catching interior with high-grade materials and user-friendly controls. They note that taller passengers may feel cramped in the Sonata Hybrid's rear seats. The Sonata Hybrid's trunk is small compared to the trunks in most midsize sedans but comparable in size to that of other hybrid sedans. Standard features include heated front seats, a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, push-button start and a 4.3-inch touch-screen infotainment system with Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary audio inputs and satellite radio. Available features include leather upholstery, a power-adjustable driver seat, an Infinity audio system, a panoramic sunroof and a navigation system with a 7-inch touch screen.
- "Overall, the Sonata Hybrid is too good to count out for 2015, but the arguments against it are strong enough to give us pause. If you're shopping for a hybrid midsize sedan, you should definitely check out the 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid and 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid. Both deliver better fuel economy and higher levels of refinement for not much more coin." -- Edmunds
- "While its suspension composure lags rivals, it is offset by the entire lineup's unique blend of style, interior comfort, standard and available features, and value pricing. That's what makes Sonata an exceptional midsize sedan." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "… the Sonata Hybrid is a well thought-out, well executed, and progressive hybrid." -- Motor Trend (2011)
- "Hyundai's first hybrid is impressive in almost every way. I certainly wish it drove better in its thriftiest mode, which owners of competing hybrids generally use. However, in nearly every other area the hybrid version of the Sonata is just as impressive as the regular sedan is in its segment." -- Cars.com (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
The Honda Accord Hybrid gets much better fuel economy than the Sonata Hybrid, and test drivers like its responsive handling and strong acceleration. They also note that the Accord Hybrid has an attractive interior with premium materials and a very spacious back seat.
Auto writers say the Ford Fusion Hybrid has high-end cabin materials and an attractive design. It also gets better fuel economy than the Sonata Hybrid, and some reviewers write that it's more engaging to drive.
Details: 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is a five-seat sedan that is available in base and Limited trims. Both trims come with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, an electric motor, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. The gas-only Sonata is reviewed separately. The Sonata Hybrid hasn't changed much since its debut for the 2011 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- Search used Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for sale (None listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings