Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Review
The 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ranks 12 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers think the 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has an impressive list of standard features and an attractive, high-quality interior, but they note that its rivals get better fuel economy and are more fun to drive.
The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid comes with a four-cylinder engine, an electric motor and a six-speed automatic transmission. Auto writers say the Sonata Hybrid has decent acceleration and transitions seamlessly between electric and gas power, though some complain that the throttle and transmission aren’t as responsive as they’d like. The 2014 Sonata Hybrid gets an EPA-estimated 36/40 mpg city/highway, which is good for the midsize class as a whole but worse than what most hybrid rivals get. While test drivers like that the Sonata Hybrid has a smooth ride, composed handling and easily modulated regenerative brakes, they write that its competitors are more fun to drive.
Reviewers say the 2014 Sonata Hybrid has an attractive interior design and high-quality cabin materials. The Sonata Hybrid’s trunk size is on par for a midsize hybrid, and reviewers think its front and rear seats are comfortable and spacious. Test drivers write that the Sonata Hybrid’s interior controls are intuitive and well-placed, and they think it offers a lot of standard features for its price. Standard features in the 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid include heated front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, proximity key, push-button start, Bluetooth, satellite radio, a USB port, a six-speaker audio system, a rearview camera, a 4.3-inch touch-screen display and HD Radio. Available features include leather upholstery, an eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, a panoramic sunroof, an Infinity audio system and a navigation system with a 7-inch touch-screen display.
- "The 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has all the elements of a desirable and fuel-efficient hybrid family sedan, though its EPA fuel economy ratings are lower than most competitors in this class." -- Edmunds
- "While its suspension composure lags rivals, it is offset by the entire lineup's unique blend of style, interior comfort, standard and available features, and value pricing. That's what makes Sonata an exceptional midsize sedan." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The Sonata Hybrid is a well thought-out, well executed, and progressive hybrid." -- Motor Trend (2011)
- "Hyundai's first hybrid is impressive in almost every way. I certainly wish it drove better in its thriftiest mode, which owners of competing hybrids generally use. However, in nearly every other area the hybrid version of the Sonata is just as impressive as the regular sedan is in its segment." -- Cars.com (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Fusion Hybrid gets significantly better fuel economy than the Sonata Hybrid, and reviewers like its roomy, well-built cabin and smooth powertrain. The Ford Fusion Hybrid won both our 2014 Best Hybrid Car for the Money and Best Hybrid Car for Families awards.
The Toyota Camry Hybrid gets better fuel economy than the Sonata Hybrid, and test drivers think it has a comfortable, quiet ride and poised handling. They also like the Camry Hybrid’s roomy, well-built interior. At 13.1 cubic feet, the Camry’s trunk is large for a hybrid sedan.
Details: 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
The 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is a five-seat, front-wheel-drive hybrid sedan. It is available in two trims: base and Limited. It has a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, an electric motor and a six-speed automatic transmission. The gas-only Sonata is reviewed separately. The Sonata Hybrid has not changed much since its debut for the 2011 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- Search used Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for sale (14,922 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings