2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Review
The 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ranks at the top of the list for its good fuel economy, smooth transmission and long list of standard features, which make it a great value among hybrids.
If you want the technology and fuel savings a hybrid car provides, but are still on a budget, test drivers say the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is your best choice, since its base price is less than most of its rivals. A lengthy warranty, upscale interior, composed handling and good acceleration also add to the Sonata Hybrid’s value.
A few of the Sonata Hybrid’s drawbacks include fuel economy ratings that aren’t as good as some key rivals, a distracting fuel efficiency display and Hyundai’s Blue eco mode, which reviewers say makes the car lethargic.
Overall, the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is just a great affordable midsize car. Reviewers like that there are hardly any performance trade-offs compared with the gas-only Sonata. If you’re shopping for a stylish hybrid, reviewers say you can’t get any better than the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
Other Cars to Consider
After a full redesign, the Toyota Camry Hybrid now gets better overall EPA fuel economy ratings than the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. Its exterior styling is more sedate and conservative compared with the Sonata Hybrid, but reviewers are impressed with its spacious, comfortable, upscale interior. They also like that the transition from the gas engine to the electric motor is flawless and barely undetectable in the Camry Hybrid.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid is another good hybrid sedan to consider. Test drivers say its handling is the best among hybrid midsize cars, and they also like its high-tech, roomy interior.
Details: Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
The 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is available in just one trim. It sees no significant changes for 2012. See the full list of 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid specs.
- “Family sedan shoppers looking for a roomy, well-equipped hybrid with some distinctive styling should put the Sonata Hybrid on their short list." -- Edmunds
- "All Sonatas, base models included, offer an outstanding features-per-dollar ratio. … The Hybrid delivers very good fuel economy, albeit at some sacrifice to drivability and refinement. While it lags its rivals in suspension composure, this demerit is more than offset by the entire lineup's blend of style, interior comfort, standard and available features, and value pricing." -- Consumer Guide
- "Hyundai has been, all along, a brand built on value. There are a lot of things to like about the Sonata Hybrid, and some very promising engineering to boot." -- Popular Mechanics
- "Hyundai's first hybrid is impressive in almost every way. I certainly wish it drove better in its thriftiest mode, which owners of competing hybrids generally use. However, in nearly every other area the hybrid version of the Sonata is just as impressive as the regular sedan is in its segment." -- Cars.com
- "The Sonata Hybrid is a well thought-out, well executed, and progressive hybrid." -- Motor Trend