Hyundai Sonata Review
The 2013 Hyundai Sonata ranks 2 out of 20 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 16 published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Sonata, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Hyundai Sonata remains competitive in its class, thanks to high fuel economy estimates, modern styling and a spacious cabin. However, a number of newly-redesigned midsize cars may give the Sonata a run for its money.
Though the 2013 Hyundai Sonata is missing a few things that some of its rivals offer, like a six-cylinder engine and manual transmission, auto reviewers aren’t complaining. The 2013 Sonata has a four- and turbo-four-cylinder engine, and test drivers say both engines offer plenty of power for most drivers. Both engines have good fuel economy ratings of 24/35 (base) and 22/34 (turbo) mpg city/highway for the class. A few auto writers note that the Sonata’s engines are loud when pushed, but not any more than rivals.
Some journalists are disappointed with a few mid-grade interior materials, but overall, they like the layout, design and functionality the Sonata’s cabin provides. There’s plenty of space for families, and many test drivers like the stylish, contemporary interior design. Reviewers say the 2013 Hyundai Sonata has a good array of standard interior features for the class, including Bluetooth, auxiliary and USB audio jacks, satellite radio and Hyundai’s Blue Link telematics system. The 2013 Sonata can be equipped with features like a rearview camera, heated front and rear seats, a panoramic sunroof, Infinity sound system, HD Radio and navigation.
- "If you're in the market for a mid-size sedan and the usual suspects fail to arouse your emotions, the 2013 Hyundai Sonata could be the perfect choice. Given its generous level of standard equipment, its lengthy warranty and rising residual values, the Sonata offers perhaps the best value of the group." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "While its suspension composure lags rivals, it is offset by the entire lineup's unique blend of style, interior comfort, standard and available features, and value pricing. That's what makes Sonata an exceptional midsize sedan." -- Consumer Guide
- "This is, quite frankly, a tremendous amount of car for the money." -- Edmunds (2011)
- "It gives buyers a huge amount of refinement, driving enjoyment, comfort and style for not a lot of money." -- USA Today (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Fusion is a good car to put on your list if you’re looking at the Hyundai Sonata. Like the Sonata, it has a spacious cabin and trunk and its interior is filled with upscale materials. While test drivers say the Sonata’s handling is a middle ground between comfort and sport, the Fusion’s handling is described as crisp and athletic. The Fusion offers a manual transmission, which isn’t available on the Sonata, as well as optional all-wheel drive on 2.0L Ecoboost models.
The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu is also worth a look if you’re considering the 2013 Sonata. The Malibu was redesigned for 2013, and reviewers like its modern exterior design, new engines, bountiful tech features and quality cabin materials. Like the Sonata, the 2013 Malibu has nixed the V6 engine option in favor of more fuel-efficient four-cylinder engines. However, the 2013 Malibu’s optional turbocharged four-cylinder engine produces less horsepower than the 2013 Sonata’s optional turbo-four.
Details: 2013 Hyundai Sonata
The 2013 Hyundai Sonata is available in three trims levels: GLS, SE and Limited. The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is reviewed separately. For 2013, Hyundai is no longer offering a manual transmission on any trim level. Heated front seats are now available on all models. A panoramic moonroof that was standard on Limited models is now optional as part of the premium package, and was replaced by a traditional power moonroof. The Hyundai Sonata was last redesigned in 2011. Since it hasn’t changed much since then, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011, 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Hyundai Sonata
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Hyundai Sonata
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Hyundai Sonata for sale (10,950 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Hyundai Sonata
- See what others paid for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata
- View Hyundai Sonata Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings