Hyundai Sonata Review
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata ranks 2 out of 17 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Sonata, as well as reliability and safety data.
Automotive journalists report that the redesigned 2015 Hyundai Sonata has a serenely quiet ride and one of the most upscale interiors in the class.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Hyundai Sonata is our 2015 Best Midsize Car for the Money. The Sonata also has the best combination of space, reliability and safety ratings, and available family-friendly features. That makes it our 2015 Best Midsize Car for Families.
Test drivers say the base four-cylinder Hyundai Sonata has strong acceleration from a stop, but lacks highway passing power. They write that the Sport 2.0T trim, which has a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, is faster on the highway, and some think it matches the power of the Sonata’s six-cylinder rivals. However, others wish it was more potent. The new Sonata Eco is powered by a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. All models come standard with a six-speed automatic transmission, except for the Eco model, which has a seven-speed automatic (automated manual). The base 2015 Sonata gets an EPA-estimated 25/37 mpg city/highway, which is good for an affordable midsize car. Some automotive writers think the Sonata offers a well-balanced driving experience with a comfortable ride, precise steering and composed handling, and most agree that it has superb braking power. However, others report that the Sonata has numb steering and driving dynamics that aren’t particularly exciting.
Critics agree that the redesigned 2015 Hyundai Sonata’s interior design and materials are more upscale than many of its competitors’. They also praise the Sonata’s serenely quiet cabin and spacious back seat. At 16.3 cubic feet, the Sonata’s trunk is quite large for the class. Standard features include satellite radio, Bluetooth and a USB/iPod input. Available features include a panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats and Hyundai’s Smart Trunk system, which opens the trunk when it detects the key fob behind the vehicle for more than three seconds. Other available features include adaptive cruise control (which can bring the car to a full stop), a rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, a 5-inch touch-screen infotainment system or an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment system with navigation. Both infotainment systems are attractive and user-friendly, according to automotive reviewers. Test drivers like that many of the Sonata’s audio, climate and navigation controls are easy to use and kept separate from the touch-screen system.
- "The Sonata's dynamics are competitive, its overall execution on point, and it's relatively handsome. It's a good car-no ‘for a Hyundai’ disclaimer needed." -- Car and Driver
- "By putting economy over performance and using the Genesis sedan as its role model, it has tasked the 2015 Sonata with a more important ambition - going upscale. The resulting four-door sedan is a safe, fuel-efficient, premium offering with an attractive sticker price." -- Autoblog
- "Overall, the 2015 gets some serious improvements in styling, ride quality, interior room, and steering, while gaining a bit more responsiveness across the model range. With a base price set just below that of the 2014 car, the new Sonata represents good value too." -- Motor Trend
- "More mature in its design and execution, yet still well priced and generously equipped, the redesigned Sonata hits nearly all the right notes. It's a well-rounded, quality-feeling piece that, thanks to a wide array of powertrains and trim levels, should appeal to a broader swath of midsize buyers than before." -- Left Lane News
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers write that the Honda Accord has top-notch cabin materials and one of the largest rear seats in the class. The Accord also gets good fuel economy ratings, and earns praise for its responsive four-cylinder engine.
Critics are impressed with the power provided by the Nissan Altima’s available V6 engine, and they say its nimble handling and stylish interior are high points as well. Auto experts also note that the Altima’s front seats are supple and supportive.
Details: 2015 Hyundai Sonata
The redesigned 2015 Hyundai Sonata seats five and is available in SE, Sport, Limited, Eco and Sport 2.0T trims. The 2015 Sonata comes standard with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, front-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission. Sport 2.0T models have a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. Eco models come with a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and a seven-speed automated manual transmission. The Sonata is fully redesigned for 2015.
Next Steps: Hyundai Sonata
- View the best prices for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata
- Search used Hyundai Sonata for sale (19,998 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings