Hyundai Sonata Review
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata ranks 3 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Sonata, as well as reliability and safety data.
The Hyundai Sonata is redesigned for 2015 and reviewers say it has a pleasant, hushed ride as well as a high-end cabin that ranks near the top of the class.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Hyundai Sonata is our 2015 Best Midsize Car for the Money. The Sonata also has the best combination of space, reliability and safety ratings, and available family-friendly features. That makes it our 2015 Best Midsize Car for Families.
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata has powerful acceleration off the line but doesn't deliver adequate passing power on the highway, test drivers say. The turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine in the Sport 2.0T trim is swifter on the highway, they say, and some believe its power is comparable to the Sonata's six-cylinder competition. Nonetheless, others wish it delivered more punch. The new Sonata Eco has a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models but the Eco, which has a seven-speed automatic (automated manual). The base 2015 Sonata gets an EPA-estimated 25/37 mpg city/highway, which is good for an affordable midsize car. Some automotive writers think the Sonata offers a well-balanced driving experience with a comfortable ride, precise steering and composed handling, and most agree that it has superb braking power. However, others report that the Sonata has numb steering and driving dynamics that aren’t particularly exciting.
Compared with many of its rivals, the redesigned 2015 Hyundai Sonata's cabin materials are more high-end, automotive writers say. They also appreciate the Sonata's pleasantly quiet interior. Critics note that the Sonata's trunk has 16.3 cubic feet of space, which is large for the class. Standard features include satellite radio, Bluetooth and a USB/iPod input. Available features include a panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats and Hyundai’s Smart Trunk system, which opens the trunk when it detects the key fob behind the vehicle for more than three seconds. Other available features include adaptive cruise control (which can bring the car to a full stop), a rearview camera, blind spot monitoring, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, a 5-inch touch-screen infotainment system or an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment system with navigation. Both infotainment systems are attractive and user-friendly, according to automotive reviewers. Test drivers like that many of the Sonata’s audio, climate and navigation controls are easy to use and kept separate from the touch-screen system.
- "The Sonata's dynamics are competitive, its overall execution on point, and it's relatively handsome. It's a good car-no ‘for a Hyundai’ disclaimer needed." -- Car and Driver
- "By putting economy over performance and using the Genesis sedan as its role model, it has tasked the 2015 Sonata with a more important ambition - going upscale. The resulting four-door sedan is a safe, fuel-efficient, premium offering with an attractive sticker price." -- Autoblog
- "Overall, the 2015 gets some serious improvements in styling, ride quality, interior room, and steering, while gaining a bit more responsiveness across the model range. With a base price set just below that of the 2014 car, the new Sonata represents good value too." -- Motor Trend
- "More mature in its design and execution, yet still well priced and generously equipped, the redesigned Sonata hits nearly all the right notes. It's a well-rounded, quality-feeling piece that, thanks to a wide array of powertrains and trim levels, should appeal to a broader swath of midsize buyers than before." -- Left Lane News
Hyundai Sonata Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers write that the Honda Accord has top-notch cabin materials and one of the largest rear seats in the class. The Accord also gets good fuel economy ratings, and earns praise for its responsive four-cylinder engine.
Critics are impressed with the power provided by the Nissan Altima’s available V6 engine, and they say its nimble handling and stylish interior are high points as well. Auto experts also note that the Altima’s front seats are supple and supportive.
Details: 2015 Hyundai Sonata
The redesigned 2015 Hyundai Sonata seats five and is available in SE, Sport, Limited, Eco and Sport 2.0T trims. The 2015 Sonata comes standard with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, front-wheel drive and a six-speed automatic transmission. Sport 2.0T models have a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. Eco models come with a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine and a seven-speed automated manual transmission. The Sonata is fully redesigned for 2015.
Next Steps: Hyundai Sonata
- View the best prices for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Hyundai Sonata
- Search used Hyundai Sonata for sale (19,998 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings