2012 Hyundai Sonata Recalls & Reliability
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
Recall Date: 07/18/2014
- Consequence: If the transmission shift cable detaches, the transmission gear selection may not match the indicated gear and the vehicle may move in an unintended or unexpected direction, increasing the risk of a crash. Furthermore, when the driver parks the vehicle, despite selecting the 'PARK' position, the transmission may not be in 'PARK.' If the vehicle is not in the 'PARK' position and the parking brake is not applied, there is a risk the vehicle will roll away as the driver and other occupants exit the vehicle or anytime thereafter. A vehicle rollaway increases the risk of injury to exiting occupants and bystanders.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V434000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 883,000
- Summary: Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Sonata vehicles manufactured December 11, 2009, through May 29, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the transmission shift cable may detach from from the shift lever pin.
- Remedy: Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, repair the connection between the shift cable and shift lever, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's number for this recall is 123.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOWRecall Date: 07/24/2012
- Consequence: The curtain airbag may inflate without deployment command and increase the risk of injury to occupants of the vehicle. Additionally, an unexpected deployment would be a significant driver distraction and would limit the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V352000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 22,512
- Summary: Hyundai is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Hyundai Sonata passenger cars, manufactured from January 24, 2012, through June 21, 2012. The curtain side airbags on these vehicles may inflate without deployment command due to an error during manufacturing.
- Remedy: Hyundai dealers will notify owners, and dealers will replace the curtain side airbags free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2012. Owners may contact Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151.
- Notes: Hyundai's recall campaign number is 106. Customers may contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Vehicle Safety Administrations Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
SEAT BELTS:REARRecall Date: 03/08/2012
- Consequence: SEE NOTES.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V098000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 14,728
- Summary: CERTAIN MODEL YEAR HYUNDAI SONATA HYBRID VEHICLES PRODUCED BEGINNING ON DECEMBER 2, 2010, AND SHIPPED TO DEALERS THROUGH MARCH 7, 2012, THAT ARE EQUIPPED WITH A CENTER REAR SEAT BELT INCORPORATING A RELEASE MECHANISM THAT DETACHES BOTH THE LAP AND SHOULDER PORTION AT THE LOWER ANCHORAGE POINT, FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION."
- Remedy: DEALERS WERE NOTIFIED OF THE NONCOMPLAINCE AND A STOP SALE WAS ISSUED ON MARCH 8, 2012.
- Notes: HYUNDAI DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CENTER REAR SEAT BELTS IN APPROXIMATELY 1,633 SONATA HYBRID VEHICLES CURRENTLY IN DEALER INVENTORY WITH CENTER REAR SEAT BELTS THAT ARE NOT DETACHABLE FROM THE LOWER ANCHORAGE POINT PRIOR TO DELIVERY TO CUSTOMERS. FOR THE APPROXIMATELY 13,095 VEHICLES THAT HAVE BEEN DELIVERED TO CUSTOMERS, HYUNDAI MOTOR COMPANY INTENDS TO FILE A PETITION FOR AN EXEMPTION FROM THE RECALL REQUIREMENTS OF THE NATIONAL TRAFFIC AND MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT ON THE BASIS THAT THE NONCOMPLIANCE DESCRIBED IS INCONSEQUENTIAL AS IT RELATES TO MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY. THEREFORE, THE MANUFACTURER IS NOT OBLIGATED TO CONDUCT AN OWNER NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY CAMPAIGN UNTIL NHTSA HAS RESOLVED THIS PETITION. IF THE PETITION IS DENIED, THE MANUFACTURER WILL BE NOTIFIED AND MUST THEN UNDERTAKE ITS NOTIFICATION AND REMEDY CAMPAIGN OBLIGATIONS.
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2012 Hyundai Sonata