2013 Hyundai Sonata Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
Recall Date: 07/18/2014
- Consequence: If the transmission shift cable detaches, the transmission gear selection may not match the indicated gear and the vehicle may move in an unintended or unexpected direction, increasing the risk of a crash. Furthermore, when the driver parks the vehicle, despite selecting the 'PARK' position, the transmission may not be in 'PARK.' If the vehicle is not in the 'PARK' position and the parking brake is not applied, there is a risk the vehicle will roll away as the driver and other occupants exit the vehicle or anytime thereafter. A vehicle rollaway increases the risk of injury to exiting occupants and bystanders.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 14V434000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 883,000
- Summary: Hyundai Motor Company (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2011-2014 Sonata vehicles manufactured December 11, 2009, through May 29, 2014. In the affected vehicles, the transmission shift cable may detach from from the shift lever pin.
- Remedy: Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, repair the connection between the shift cable and shift lever, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-800-633-5151. Hyundai's number for this recall is 123.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOWRecall Date: 07/24/2012
- Consequence: The curtain airbag may inflate without deployment command and increase the risk of injury to occupants of the vehicle. Additionally, an unexpected deployment would be a significant driver distraction and would limit the driver's visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V352000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 22,512
- Summary: Hyundai is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 Hyundai Sonata passenger cars, manufactured from January 24, 2012, through June 21, 2012. The curtain side airbags on these vehicles may inflate without deployment command due to an error during manufacturing.
- Remedy: Hyundai dealers will notify owners, and dealers will replace the curtain side airbags free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2012. Owners may contact Hyundai at 1-800-633-5151.
- Notes: Hyundai's recall campaign number is 106. Customers may contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Vehicle Safety Administrations Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
|Predicted Reliability Score
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2013 Hyundai Sonata