Hyundai Veloster Review
The 2015 Hyundai Veloster ranks 25 out of 27 Affordable Compact Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Veloster, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Hyundai Veloster is ranked:
Reviewers enjoy the 2015 Hyundai Veloster's modern interior, though they dislike its rough ride and lethargic base engine.
Test drivers find the four-cylinder base engine in the 2015 Hyundai Veloster a bit weak. They add that the optional turbocharged engine feels faster but still lags behind the Ford Fiesta ST and other class rivals. The standard transmission is a six-speed manual. A six-speed automatic transmission is available, but test drivers say the shifts aren't as crisp as they could be. With the base engine, the Hyundai Veloster gets up to an EPA-estimated 27/36 mpg city/highway, which is normal for the class. Some auto journalists say the Veloster has sporty handling, but others report that a number of rivals are more engaging behind the wheel. Additionally, some critics say the Veloster's ride is too firm and that the steering feels numb.
The 2015 Hyundai Veloster’s interior looks good, critics say, but the materials feel low-rent. Test drivers call the front seats comfy, though they note that taller drivers may wish for more headroom. Some critics think the rear seats are cramped, while others appreciate that they are roomier than those in rival coupes. Test drivers like that the 2015 Veloster has a large cargo area, and that it bests many other coupes in terms of cargo space behind the rear seats. Standard features in the base Veloster include Bluetooth, a rearview camera, a USB port and a 7-inch touch-screen audio system. Options include a panoramic sunroof, an eight-speaker Dimension audio system, navigation, proximity key and rear parking sensors. Most reviewers think the touch screen has sharp graphics and that the touch screen makes it easy to control the audio system.
- "Even with the clever third door, the Hyundai Veloster isn't exactly a paragon of passenger hauling. If you regularly carry rear-seat passengers, or just have a big dog you like to take with you, you might be better served by something like a VW Golf or Ford Focus." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "While it isn't quite as sporty as its styling suggests, the Veloster does offers the high level of standard equipment and solid value for which Hyundai has become known." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2014 Hyundai Veloster is not as fun to drive as it looks, and its ride can be harsh. But with its ample features list, efficient engines and distinctive styling, this unusual hatchback remains an intriguing alternative to regular old economy cars." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "There are few new cars I've evaluated in the last seven years that have disappointed me as much as the Hyundai Veloster. It's slow (though the upcoming Turbo should address this somewhat), ugly, handles poorly, and rides like a buckboard." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Hyundai Veloster Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Honda Civic is available as a two-door coupe, and reviewers say the Civic has a first-rate cabin and a comfortable ride. They write that the performance-oriented Civic Si is especially fun to drive, with nimble handling and sprightly acceleration.
Test drivers say the Chevrolet Sonic has agile handling, a comfortable ride and feels peppy with its available turbocharged engine. The Sonic also has more cargo space than the Veloster, and reviewers report that it has a spacious back seat.
Details: 2015 Hyundai Veloster
The 2015 Hyundai Veloster is a front-wheel drive, four-seat hatchback that has three doors (two on the passenger side and one on the driver side) and comes in four trims. The base and new-for-2015 RE:FLEX trims have a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine, and Turbo R-Spec and Turbo trims have a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. A six-speed manual transmission is standard. Models with the base engine are available with a six-speed automated manual, and those with the turbocharged engine are available with a six-speed automatic. Aside from minor updates, the Veloster has undergone few changes since it debuted for the 2012 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Hyundai Veloster
- View the best prices for the 2015 Hyundai Veloster
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Hyundai Veloster
- Search used Hyundai Veloster for sale (2,504 listings)
- See Affordable Compact Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals