Hyundai Veloster Interior
Most reviewers say that the 2014 Hyundai Veloster’s cabin features typical plastic surfaces, but they praise its sophisticated, cutting-edge design. They’re especially fond of the leather seats in Turbo trims. The Veloster’s front seats are very supportive, test drivers note, but the back seat is tight, especially with the sunroof, which cuts into headroom. They point out that the Veloster comes chock full of features, most controls are logically arrayed and it’s easy to connect to functions like Bluetooth.
- "Common to all trims is the spaceship-like dashboard, which looks so cool that we're inclined to forgive the mediocre materials employed." -- AutoTrader
- "Veloster's cabin materials are class-competitive. Most interior-plastic surfaces are nicely grained or painted. The door armrests and center-console lid are padded. Turbo's leather upholstery gives a slightly more-upscale ambiance." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Up front, the cabin boasts a youthful and modern design that never seems cute or gimmicky. The splashes of blue trim included with the Turbo are a nice touch. There is an abundance of hard plastic, but it's textured for a more favorable appearance." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The interior continues the theme, with its sport buckets and darker tones. All of the turbo's enhancements over the standard model are well integrated - nothing looks tacky or aftermarket (we wish we could say this industry-wide)." -- Autoblog (2013)
The Veloster seats four and comes standard with a tilt and telescopic steering wheel, which reviewers say helps drivers fine-tune their position. Options include a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, leather seats and heated front seats. The front seats are supportive and there’s adequate head- and legroom, test drivers say. There’s only one door on the driver side, but two doors on the passenger side, which makes it relatively easy to access the rear seats, they mention. The back seats are tight, most reviewers add.
- "That means the rear door opens independently, unlike the so-called suicide door that some other 3-door cars have utilized, so rear passengers are free to enter and exit as they wish. Passenger space in back is mostly fine, but taller riders won't have enough headroom." -- AutoTrader
- "The front seats offer good comfort and support for this class, but taller passengers will likely find the two back seats cramped." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Headroom and legroom are adequate for six footers, but the optional sunroof's housing cuts into headroom for tall drivers. The tilt and telescopic steering wheel and ample driver-seat adjustments help in tailoring a comfortable driving position." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The sport bucket seats are attractive and supportive, delivering plenty of bolster and back support for your author's six-foot, two-inch 190-pound frame." -- Autoblog (2013)
The base 2014 Veloster comes with Bluetooth, a USB/iPod input, a six-speaker CD audio system, satellite radio, a 7-inch touch-screen display, a rearview camera and steering wheel-mounted audio and Bluetooth controls. Available features include a panoramic sunroof, navigation, an eight-speaker premium audio system, push-button start and proximity key, which automatically senses when the key fob is in range and automatically unlocks the doors when the door handle is touched.
Reviewers are impressed with the number of features that come with the Veloster and say that dashboard controls are logically placed and straightforward to use. The standard touch-screen display is sharp and the Bluetooth is easy to use, they add. Other reviewers praise the rich quality of the bass in the premium sound system.
- "The Veloster's interior design shows a sense of intelligence sometimes lacking in other cars. Controls are simple to use and easy to reach, with minimal touch-screen operations limited mostly to the navigation and audio functions." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Veloster's standard 7-in touchscreen really sets it apart when compared to other affordable hatchbacks. Hyundai knows its target buyers want to be on the grid at all times, so virtually every imaginable connectivity feature comes standard." -- AutoTrader
- "As per Hyundai convention, the 2013 Veloster Turbo offers excellent infotainment with clear graphics and intuitive controls for iPhone integration, Bluetooth pairing, and Pandora Internet radio.” -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "The major controls are well laid out and easy to see and use at a glance." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Audio quality is pretty darn good for a vehicle in the Veloster's price range, offering very full bass with no rattling from body panels or noticeable harshness of the sound." -- CNET (2013, premium sound system)
The 2014 Hyundai Veloster has 15.5 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 34.7 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. That’s more space than you’ll find in a small hatchback like the Scion tC, but less than you’ll find in a larger hatchback like the Mazda Mazda3. Test drivers are impressed with the amount of cargo the Veloster can hold thanks to its hatchback body style and folding rear seats, including the ability to hold boxes containing bicycles.
- "With 15.5 feet of space, the rear cargo area can easily swallow luggage, and the back seats fold to accommodate larger items." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Veloster's hatchback design makes for better-than-average storage space for a sporty car. The cargo area is deep and wide, and the rear seat backs fold nearly flat." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "The Veloster's hatchback form factor with fold-flat rear seats also allows city dwellers to cram a lot of cargo room and stuff-carrying capacity into a relatively small parking space, which is a treat for city living. During my week with the Veloster, I purchased two road bikes and was able to fit the boxes of both of them into the cavernous rear hatch with plenty of room to spare." -- CNET (2013)
Next Steps: Hyundai Veloster
- View the best prices for the 2014 Hyundai Veloster
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Hyundai Veloster
- Search used Hyundai Veloster for sale (2,504 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings