Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Review
The 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid ranks 16 out of 18 Upscale Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Infiniti Q50 Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid has great fuel economy and user-friendly tech features, but its performance suffers from lifeless steering and touchy brakes, according to critics.
The Q50 Hybrid is powered by a V6 engine and an electric motor, and test drivers agree that they deliver strong acceleration, though several think the power delivery is a little uneven. A seven-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard, and all-wheel drive is optional. The 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid gets an EPA-estimated 29/36 mpg city/highway, which is good for a six-cylinder midsize hybrid. Though critics write that the Q50 Hybrid has a composed ride, they don't think it's very engaging to drive. Auto writers say the Infiniti Q50 Hybrid's standard adjustable steering system, which allows you to customize steering effort, provides almost no feedback and is poorly weighted. They also note that the Q50 Hybrid's regenerative brakes make it hard to stop the car smoothly.
Most auto writers are impressed with the 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid's sleek interior styling and upscale materials. According to some test drivers, the Q50 Hybrid's standard front seats lack sufficient thigh support for taller people, but its available sport seats are more supportive. Critics think the rear seat has plenty of head- and legroom for all but the tallest occupants. Like many hybrids, the Q50 Hybrid has a small trunk for its class. Standard features in the 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid include leather upholstery, heated front seats, a moonroof, a rearview camera and Infiniti's InTouch infotainment system, which includes two touch screens, Bluetooth, two USB ports, satellite radio and a 14-speaker Bose audio system. Available features include navigation, a surround-view camera system, front and rear parking sensors, active lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning with automatic braking. Automotive journalists appreciate the fact that there are buttons and knobs for common climate and audio controls if you'd rather not use the touch screen.
- "The Q50 S Hybrid is an agreeable midsize luxury sedan ruined by a poorly executed hybrid drivetrain." -- Edmunds
- "The hybrid model, with its balance of power and efficiency, is arguably the most desirable Q50 in many respects - it's just a shame about the steering." -- Left Lane News (2014)
- "Infiniti nailed the tech. They just didn't add enough testosterone." -- Jalopnik (2014)
- "We spent the majority of our time in a fully loaded all-wheel-drive Q50S Hybrid model, but we also snuck some time in a lower-spec rear-drive gas-only car. We much, much preferred the latter, but the trim you fancy will depend on what you value in a car: engagement or comfort, tech and economy." -- Autoblog (2014)
Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Though the Lexus ES Hybrid doesn't have the Q50 Hybrid's horsepower, it gets much better fuel economy. The ES Hybrid has a larger trunk than the Q50 Hybrid, and auto writers say it has a comfortable ride and a spacious, upscale cabin.
The diesel-powered BMW 328d gets higher fuel economy than the Q50 Hybrid, and auto writers love its strong acceleration, sharp steering and responsive brakes. Critics also report that the 328d has spacious rear seats and an easy-to-use infotainment system.
Details: 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid
The 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid is a five-seat sedan that comes in Q50 Hybrid Premium and Q50S Hybrid trims. Both trims come standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine, an electric motor, a seven-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is optional on both trims. The non-hybrid Infiniti Q50 is reviewed separately. The Infiniti Q50 Hybrid debuted for 2014 and doesn't see any major changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Infiniti Q50 Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid
- See Upscale Midsize Cars rankings