Infiniti QX80 Performance
The 2014 Infiniti QX80 is praised by reviewers for its great handling and comfortable ride. Test drivers are also impressed with its strong acceleration and responsive, smooth-shifting automatic transmission.
- "Finally, this big SUV lives up to Infiniti's sporty heritage by offering reasonably athletic moves around turns." -- Edmunds
- "Known as the QX56 before Infiniti's new lineup-wide renaming strategy, the QX80 is a full-size luxury SUV that features a traditional body-on-frame layout. This design lets the utility back up its rugged looks with excellent towing and off-roading capabilities, although it also features surprisingly competent handling on the pavement as well." -- Left Lane News
- "The smooth, responsive V8 packs ample power for brisk getaways and worry-free expressway merging. The 7-speed automatic transmission is equally alert and silky." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The QX80 is powered by a 5.6-liter V8 engine that produces 400 horsepower, which is mated to a seven-speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy is up to an EPA-estimated 14/20 mpg city/highway, which is typical for the class.
Reviewers report that the QX80 has more than enough power and gets up to speed on freeway entrances. Reviewers say that the throttle responds quickly when the driver steps on the gas and that the transmission performs smooth, fast shifts.
- "As for acceleration, the 5.6-liter V8 turns in an A-plus performance, responding instantly to throttle input and delivering a sweet, low rumble that is music to a V8-lover's ears." -- AutoTrader
- "If there's one thing that quickly becomes apparent when you slide behind the 2014 Infiniti QX80's steering wheel, it's the strong acceleration the 400-hp V8 puts at your disposal. Shifts from the seven-speed automatic are likewise smooth and swift." -- Edmunds
- "While the chassis deals with whatever is down at the road surface, the stout V8, matched with the velvety 7-speed automatic transmission, moves the big QX80 with ease and smooth certainty. If this is the kind of vehicle you want, there are few to match it." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "This vehicle's enormous 5.6-liter V8 generates 400 horsepower and 413-pound feet of torque, providing plenty of muscle to move this 5,850-pound behemoth. Power deliver is not only strong but smooth." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Handling and Braking
Rear-wheel drive is standard on the QX80 and four-wheel drive is optional. Auto writers report that the QX80 is one of the best-riding vehicles in the class, with well-controlled body motions and ample comfort over rough roads. They also say that the QX80 has excellent handling, especially models fitted with the optional Hydraulic Body Motion Control system. Still, one critic cautions that models fitted with 22-inch wheels don't have as comfortable of a ride. Reviewers write that the steering is well-weighted and responsive and that the brakes have plenty of stopping power.
- "This is one of the better-handling large SUVs. Unlike the Lexus LX570, the QX80 doesn't feel large and ponderous. Its steering effort is light and direct, with good feedback in fast curves." -- AutoTrader
- "Infiniti's big SUV is also blessed with uncommon agility, particularly when it's fitted with the Deluxe Touring package and the automaker's advanced Hydraulic Body Motion Control system, which reduces body roll around tight turns to the point that the QX almost feels light on its feet. The downside to the handling improvement is that ride quality suffers somewhat, though the decline in comfort has less to do with the optional suspension itself than the large 22-inch wheels that are included in the same option package." -- Edmunds
- "With its fully-independent suspension (not found on all full-size SUVs, by the way), it's luxuriously smooth and road imperfections are barely noticeable." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Closer confines demand a bit more driver attention, due to the exterior bulk. Straight line stability is good, and steering feel is reasonable for such a large SUV. Stopping power and control are fine." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Infiniti QX80
- View the best prices for the 2014 Infiniti QX80
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Infiniti QX80
- Search used Infiniti QX80 for sale (None listings)
- See Luxury Large SUVs rankings