Jaguar XJ Performance
Automotive journalists write that the 2015 Jaguar XJ has agile handling for its size and powerful acceleration in any trim. They're particularly impressed with the supercharged V8 models, which they say deliver staggering speed.
- "No matter the trim level, the XJ promises to be one serious sports sedan. With a relatively low curb weight - courtesy of its aluminum-intensive construction - the sedan's prowess on curvy roads belies its jumbo-sized dimensions." -- Left Lane News
- "On the road, the Jaguar XJ is one of the most engaging full-size luxury sedans on the market." -- AutoTrader
- "The XJR isn't likely to be spotted at a track-day event but this highest-performance model in the 2015 Jaguar XJ lineup is hugely satisfying when you crack the whip on the open road." -- Edmunds
- "Just like the V-8 XJs, the V-6 model feels nimbler and livelier than many smaller, supposedly sportier cars. That's a credit to both its lightweight aluminum construction and the masterful chassis tuning Jaguar seems to do better than anyone else." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The Jaguar XJ and long-wheelbase XJL both come with a 340-horsepower, supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine. The base 2015 XJ gets an EPA-estimated 18/27 mpg city/highway, which is a bit lower than the fuel economy of six-cylinder rivals. Supercharged models have a 470-horsepower, supercharged 5.0-liter V8. An eight-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models.
The high-performance 2015 Jaguar XJR comes with a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 engine that makes 550 horsepower and 502 pound-feet of torque. According to Jaguar, the XJR can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds and has a top speed of 174 mph.
According to critics, the base supercharged V6 engine has plenty of power, though many agree that the supercharged V8 models are tempting upgrades thanks to their unbelievably quick acceleration. Reviewers note that the standard eight-speed automatic transmission changes gears smoothly.
- "The supercharged V6 is nice enough and gets much better fuel economy (with rear-wheel drive), but the siren call of those V8s would be too much for us to resist. Acceleration in the XJ Supercharged and XJR is astounding in both its force and immediacy." -- AutoTrader
- "The supercharged V6 pulls effortlessly offers decent fuel economy and will hit the sweet spot for most buyers. It sounds great too. But if it's outright power you crave either of the beefy supercharged V8 engines will deliver." -- Edmunds
- "Acceleration, even with the V6, is a thoroughly satisfying event, and the ZF 8-speed transmission makes the journey all that much more enjoyable. However, if you want to be immersed in the total Jaguar experience, having one of the V8 engines beneath the bonnet is still the best choice." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "Keep the engine in the power band and it's more than capable of handling any traffic situation with ease. When loping around town, simply dial it back to D and the tranny seamlessly runs the gears up and down the ratios." -- Motor Trend (2013 V6)
Handling and Braking
The 2015 Jaguar XJ comes standard with rear-wheel drive, and all-wheel drive is available on the base XJ and XJL Portfolio models. Auto writers agree that the XJ has nimble handling for a large luxury sedan, with nicely weighted steering and powerful brakes. The XJ has a firmer ride than its rivals, according to critics, but they say it's still comfortable.
- "Aluminum construction makes the XJ lighter than it looks and the Jag has an agility that some rivals can't match." -- Edmunds
- "Under normal commuting conditions, the XJ has a tauter ride than some in this class, but it filters out harsh impacts satisfactorily." -- AutoTrader
- "… steering feel is direct and communicative, the brakes are strong, it corners well, and otherwise handles its dynamic business. This car is sorted, and feels smaller than it is where it counts, from behind the wheel." -- Motor Trend (2013)
- "XJs feel quite athletic for such large cars. Steering is properly weighted with good feel." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Jaguar XJ
- View the best prices for the 2015 Jaguar XJ
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Jaguar XJ
- Search used Jaguar XJ for sale (1,379 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals