Jeep Cherokee Review
The 2015 Jeep Cherokee ranks 19 out of 27 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Jeep Cherokee, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Jeep Cherokee is ranked:
The 2015 Jeep Cherokee is a very capable off-roader and has a powerful optional V6 engine and an upscale interior, but it isn't especially fun to drive on-road, reviewers say.
The 2015 Cherokee's base four-cylinder engine has plenty of power for day-to-day driving, according to reviewers, but they agree that the Cherokee has much stronger acceleration when equipped with the optional V6. A nine-speed automatic transmission is standard, and critics report that it shifts very smoothly. The base 2015 Cherokee earns an EPA-estimated 22/31 mpg city/highway, which is on par with many rivals’ estimates. Reviewers agree the Cherokee has a comfortable, quiet ride, but they say it feels ponderous through turns and isn’t as sporty as some competitors. Though most find its steering to be accurate, they note that steering feedback is light. The Jeep Cherokee can be equipped with one of three four-wheel drive options. For top-notch off-road performance, reviewers say that, aside from the Jeep Wrangler, the Cherokee Trailhawk is one of the best options in the class.
Test drivers write that the 2015 Jeep Cherokee has a handsome cabin built with first-rate materials. They add that the standard cloth upholstery or available leather is attractive and of high quality, and the rear seats offer ample space. The Cherokee comes standard with a six-speaker stereo with a 5-inch touch-screen display, a USB port, an SD card reader and Bluetooth. Dual-zone automatic climate control, a Uconnect infotainment system with an 8.4-inch touch-screen display, push-button start, remote start, lane departure warning, a rearview camera, adaptive cruise control, forward collision alert, active park assist and blind spot monitoring are available. Test drivers agree that the Cherokee’s optional infotainment system is quick to respond and has straightforward menus. They also like that there are redundant physical buttons for adjusting audio and climate settings. The Jeep Cherokee has 54.9 cubic feet of overall cargo space, which is below average for the class.
- "The 2015 Jeep Cherokee offers more off-road capability than most people will expect from a crossover, but the bigger story is that it's civilized and comfortable enough to drive to work every day. It's worth a look if you're shopping for a small SUV." -- Edmunds
- “Offering a low-range and three different 4-wheel-drive systems that give it uncanny rock crawling ability for a small crossover SUV, the Jeep Cherokee also offers creature comforts that put it at the head of the class. Jeep tops it off with an available V6 engine and a class-exclusive a 9-speed automatic transmission." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "For its follow-up to the Liberty SUV, Jeep has dusted off its storied Cherokee nameplate to create a thoroughly modern and radically-styled midsize crossover. While some purists likely won't approve of the polarizing look, the Cherokee nonetheless impresses with an industry-first nine-speed automatic, loads of safety features and three available four-wheel-drive systems." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2014 Jeep Cherokee is as trail ready as its predecessors, but it's way more relevant to the overwhelming majority of buyers who think of their SUV as a car. The Cherokee brings the same level of product execution that the Grand Cherokee possesses but into a smaller segment." -- Car and Driver (2014)
Jeep Cherokee Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Subaru Forester comes standard with all-wheel drive, and reviewers like its powerful turbocharged engine. They agree that the Forester has agile handling and a pleasant ride. The Forester also has more cargo space than the Cherokee and earns better fuel economy estimates.
Reviewers say the Mazda CX-5 is one of the most athletic SUVs in the class. Models equipped with an optional 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine are a blast to drive, they add. Test drivers also like the Mazda CX-5’s upscale cabin.
Details: 2015 Jeep Cherokee
The 2015 Jeep Cherokee seats five and has standard front-wheel drive. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and nine-speed automatic transmission are standard, while a 3.2-liter V6 engine and a choice of three four-wheel drive systems are optional. The Jeep Cherokee is available in four trims: Sport, Latitude, Limited and Trailhawk. The Cherokee was reintroduced as an all-new model for 2014, and sees few changes for the 2015 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Jeep Cherokee
- View the best prices for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee
- Search used Jeep Cherokee for sale (2,451 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals