Jeep Cherokee Recalls & Reliability
There have been 3 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:RADIO/TAPE DECK/CD ETC.Recall Date: 07/22/2015
- Summary: Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 Ram 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500, 2015 Chrysler 200, Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, and Dodge Challenger, 2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, and Dodge Durango, and 2013-2015 Dodge Viper vehicles. The affected vehicles are equipped with radios that have software vulnerabilities that can allow third-party access to certain networked vehicle control systems.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 1416376
- Consequence: Exploitation of the software vulnerability may result in unauthorized remote modification and control of certain vehicle systems, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Chrysler will notify and mail affected owners a USB drive that includes a software update that eliminates the vulnerability, free of charge. Optionally, owners may download the update to their own USB drive from http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ or take their vehicle to a Chrysler dealer for immediate installation. In an effort to mitigate the effects of this security vulnerability, Chrysler has had the wireless service provider close the open cellular connection to the vehicle that provided unauthorized access to the vehicle network. This measure may not have been implemented on all vehicles and does not address access by other means that will be remedied by the software update. The recall is expected to begin the last week of August 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R40.
- Dates of Manufacture JAN 09, 2013 to JUL 15, 2015
- Manufacturer Recall Number: R40
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V461000
STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATERecall Date: 06/21/2015
- Summary: Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 4, 2013, to February 18, 2015 and equipped with a Power Liftgate option. In the affected vehicles, water may enter the Power Liftgate Control Module and cause a high resistance short circuit in the module.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 99436
- Consequence: A short circuit in the liftgate control module may result in a fire.
- Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the power liftgate control module and connectors for corrosion, substitute a bolt for the threaded grommet installed to seal an attachment point used in non-power liftgate vehicles and cover the power liftgate control module in a foam water shield, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in August 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R27.
- Dates of Manufacture JAN 03, 2013 to FEB 17, 2015
- Manufacturer Recall Number: R27
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V393000
AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOWRecall Date: 01/27/2015
- Summary: Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2014-2015 Jeep Cherokee vehicles manufactured January 1, 2013, to November 19, 2014. The affected vehicles may experience unintended side curtain and seat air bag deployment during vehicle operation.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 230240
- Consequence: If the air bags deploy unexpectedly during vehicle operation, it can increase the risk of personal injury and increase the risk of a crash.
- Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will re-flash the occupant restraint control module software, free of charge. The recall began on March 4, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is R05.
- Dates of Manufacture DEC 31, 2012 to NOV 18, 2014
- Manufacturer Recall Number: R05
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 15V041000
The 2015 Jeep Cherokee is backed by a three-year/36,000-mile limited warranty and a five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Next Steps: Jeep Cherokee