2007 Jeep Commander Recalls & Reliability
There have been 4 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , POWER TRAINRecall Date: 05/07/2013
- Summary: Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured February 11, 2004, through March 9, 2010; and 2006-2010 Jeep Commander vehicles manufactured January 31, 2005, through March 10, 2010. A transfer case electrical failure may result in an unintentional shifting of the transfer case into the neutral position.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 295,345
- Consequence: If the vehicle shifts into neutral, it may roll away increasing the risk of a crash or personal injury.
- Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will reflash the final drive controller which governs the transfer case, with new software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in June 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N23.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 13V175000
SUSPENSIONRecall Date: 06/15/2009
- Summary: ROCK KRAWLER IS RECALLING 44 PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION SYSTEMS SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT FOR USE ON THE VEHICLE LISTED ABOVE. THESE SUSPENSION SYSTEMS WERE PRODUCED WITH GRADE 2 CARRIAGE BOLTS INSTEAD OF THE PROPER GRADE 5 CARRIAGE BOLTS. THE IMPROPER GRADE 2 CARRIAGE BOLTS COULD EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF CLAMPING FORCE FOR THE BOTTOM STRUT FORK.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 44
- Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE A LOSS OF EFFECTIVE LIFT AND LOWERING OF THE AFFECTED VEHICLE, POSSIBLY CREATING THE DRIVER TO PANIC WHICH COULD POSSIBLY LEAD TO A VEHICLE CRASH.
- Remedy: ROCK KRAWLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND PROVIDE A FREE REMEDY. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE/JULY 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ROCK KRAWLER AT 1-518-270-9822.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 09E039000
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:DISC:CALIPERRecall Date: 09/11/2007
- Summary: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS IN A CERTAIN LOT MAY HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED FROM GRAY IRON INSTEAD OF DUCTILE IRON AS DESIGNED AND COULD FRACTURE WITHOUT WARNING.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 28755
- Consequence: THIS WOULD INCREASE THE VEHICLE'S STOPPING DISTANCE AND COULD CAUSE A CRASH.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS TO SEE IF THEY FALL INTO THIS LOT AND, IF SO, WILL REPLACE THEM FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
- Notes: DAIMLERCHRYSLER RECALL NO G35. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 07V415000
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULERecall Date: 09/11/2007
- Summary: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE SOFTWARE PROGRAMMED INTO THE ABS ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE MAY ALLOW A MOMENTARY DELAY IN BRAKING WHEN COASTING UP A HILL DURING CERTAIN CONDITIONS.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 296550
- Consequence: THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE ABS ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE WITH NEW SOFTWARE THAT PREVENTS THIS CONDITION FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
- Notes: CHRYSLER RECALL NO. G40. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 07V434000
The Commander comes with a three-year/36,000-mile basic warranty.
2007 and 2008 models purchased after July 26, 2007 are now covered by a lifetime powertrain warranty. In addition, Jeep offers three-year/36,000-mile roadside assistance and a five-year/100,000-mile rust warranty.
Though the Commander is a relatively new model, many reviewers note that the model's reliability hasn't been great so far. Edmunds calls the Commander's reliability "inconsistent" and adds "reliability has been spotty on early models."
Warranty information last updated: 5/5/08
Next Steps: Jeep Commander