2008 Jeep Commander Review
The Commander delivers solid off road performance, but can't match the on road capabilities and gas mileage of others in its class.
The 2008 Jeep Commander is a niche vehicle for people who like to go off-road and need a lot of passenger room. Though it has good performance, its interior is not as comfortable as others in the class. The Commander's starting MSRP is close to the starting price for a midsize Jeep Grand Cherokee, making it seem like a good value. Higher trims and added options, however, can quickly increase the price. Also, skyrocketing gas prices have made fuel efficiency a major deciding factor when purchasing a SUV, and others in this class offer more space for the same -- or better -- fuel economy as the Commander. The 2008 Commander, largely a carryover from the 2007 model year, is available in three trims, the Sport, Limited and Overland, and is available as a rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle.
- "The Commander should be attractive to families that need four-wheel-drive capability for vacations, camping, or challenging winters." -- Automotive.com
- "Buy the Commander if you want a full-size, rugged SUV that can tackle off-road terrain but is also decked out with high-end features; you need seating for seven." -- Forbes
- "If your goal is simply to seat seven, buy a minivan." -- Car and Driver
- "We're having a hard time determining who it is intended to appeal to--and whether that group will actually find it appealing. While it is a rugged, well-equipped SUV, the Commander seems to us to be an odd mix. Is it a vehicle for lugging the family around in (a militarized minivan), or is it a rugged mountain machine for a gaggle of guys? By catering to both, we think it fails to sufficiently appeal to either group." -- CNET
The 2008 Commander, largely a carryover from the 2007 model year, is available in three trims, the Sport, Limited and Overland, and is available as a rear-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle.
Next Steps: Jeep Commander
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Jeep Commander for sale (820 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Jeep Commander
- View Jeep Commander Photos
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings