Jeep Compass Interior
The Jeep Compass gets minor interior styling updates for 2014, and while a few critics say the Compass has high-quality plastics and other soft-touch surfaces, most are let down by the Compass’ lackluster interior styling. Reviewers agree that the 2014 Compass has limited legroom in the back seat, and that it can be difficult for drivers to find a comfortable seating position up front. Reviewers also note that the Compass comes with fewer standard features than SUVs like the GMC Terrain.
- "Around the cabin, the interior appointments are unimpressive as well." -- AutoTrader
- "The Latitude package does get a more upscale interior than the plastic-heavy Sport, but it might also be a reflection of the overall increase in quality we've seen across the Jeep lineup. Unfortunately, it smelled -- badly -- of off-gassing materials, to the point where I could taste it in my mouth. New-car smell is one thing, but I'll pass on new-car taste." -- AutoWeek
- "The interior of the 2014 Jeep Compass includes soft-touch materials on the door trim, a comfortable center armrest and a steering wheel that provides decent feel and grip." -- Kelley Blue Book
The Jeep Compass seats five and comes with cloth upholstery. Leather-trimmed seats, heated front seats and a six-way power-adjustable driver’s seat are available on higher trims. Auto critics say that the front seats in the Jeep Compass are relatively spacious with ample headroom, but they note that finding the ideal driving position can be difficult, and that taller back-seat passengers may need more legroom.
- "Compared with other compact crossovers, the 2014 Jeep Compass is relatively roomy for front-seat occupants. Taller rear-seat passengers, on the other hand, may find legroom tight." -- Edmunds
- "In a similar bid for parity, Jeep says it has addressed noise complaints with more noise-abatement treatments, including an acoustic windshield." -- Cars.com
- "Headroom is generous. High-mounted seats expand the available legroom. The driver seat is height adjustable on most versions, but it still didn't create ideal positioning for all our testers." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Standard features on the 2014 Jeep Compass include a four-speaker audio system with an auxiliary input. The Compass has some unique features, including a standard LED cargo lamp that can be removed for use as a flashlight, and optional speakers that flip down from the liftgate for outdoor listening. Features including USB connectivity, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and Bluetooth are optional, but competitors like the 2014 Subaru Forester offer these tech features standard.
Test drivers note that the 2014 Compass has clear gauges and user-friendly climate controls. However, they also say that the Compass’ switchgear looks outdated.
- "The ignition is definitely from a Chrysler Sebring circa 1999, and the rest of the controls could easily be as old." -- AutoWeek
- "Jeep has upgraded the interior materials for the 2014 model year, but Bluetooth and a USB port, which come standard on most rivals, remain optional even on the upper trim levels." -- Edmunds
- "The gauges are easy to read. Large, simple audio and climate controls are within easy reach, though the manual-transmission shift lever can block access to climate dials." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
The Compass has 22.7 cubic feet of space behind the back seats and 53.6 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. One test driver writes that the Compass’ cargo space is good and about average for the class. However, another reviewer says some small-item storage spaces, such as the door pockets, are on the small side.
- "… the Compass' maximum cargo capacity is respectable." -- Edmunds
- "Open hatch barely clears the head of 6-footers. Interior storage is OK, but the door map pockets are too small to be really useful." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Next Steps: Jeep Compass
- View the best prices for the 2014 Jeep Compass
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Jeep Compass
- Search used Jeep Compass for sale (3,014 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings