Jeep Grand Cherokee Review
The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee ranks 5 out of 13 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee is ranked:
The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee distinguishes itself with a first-class interior, impressive off-roading capability and a well-mannered driving experience, reviewers say.
Test drivers agree that the 2015 Grand Cherokee's base V6 engine produces plenty of power. They say the available diesel engine gives the Grand Cherokee strong acceleration off the line, and the two available V8 engines, especially the larger V8 in the high-performance SRT model, generate very impressive acceleration. Reviewers remark that the standard eight-speed automatic transmission is responsive and shifts smoothly. The base 2015 Grand Cherokee's 17/25 mpg city/highway fuel economy rating is a little lower than that of some comparable two-row midsize SUVs, but the diesel model's rating of 22/30 mpg is very good for the class. The Grand Cherokee has outstanding off-road capability, reviewers say. They also write that it is very well-mannered on pavement, with a compliant ride and controlled handling.
According to auto journalists, the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee's cabin is appointed with soft-touch materials and handsome wood trim, and some remark that even on the base trim, the cabin feels upscale. Reviewers agree that the front seats are comfortable and supportive and that the back seat has plenty of head- and legroom. Test drivers are pleased with the Grand Cherokee's cargo space, and some add that there are lots of storage areas for smaller items throughout the cabin. The Grand Cherokee comes standard with a Uconnect infotainment system with a 5-inch touch screen, Bluetooth and a USB port. A rearview camera, a 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, navigation, adaptive cruise control, a rear-seat entertainment system and Uconnect with an 8.4-inch touch screen are available. Critics are impressed with the straightforward operation of the Uconnect system, saying it is one of the most user-friendly infotainment systems available.
- "Among midsize SUVs, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is one of the most versatile models on the market. As one would expect of a proper Jeep, the Grand Cherokee's off-roading abilities are exceptional, while an inviting interior and a platform co-developed with Mercedes-Benz give it the daily-driving refinement of a more expensive luxury vehicle." -- Left Lane News
- "The Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV comes closest to having it all: a high-tech and comfortable 5-passenger interior, genuine off-road capability and an array of engine choices. If you take the road less traveled, this is your ride." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "If you want a midsize SUV that does a little of everything, the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the way to go. Its well-trimmed cabin is comfy for five, and it's one of the few remaining utility vehicles that can handle both off-road trails and daily commutes." -- Edmunds
- "Given its plethora of available models and options, the current-generation Grand Cherokee may very well be the most versatile vehicle extant, being equally suited for towing, off-roading, comfortable commuting, and outings to the ballet. (If it's not the most versatile, it's certainly a better value than others that might lay claim to the crown.)" -- Car and Driver (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Dodge Durango is mechanically related to the Grand Cherokee, and reviewers like its poised handling, comfortable ride and smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission. The Durango has three rows of seats, more overall cargo space than the Grand Cherokee and it also has the well-liked Uconnect infotainment system.
The two-row Hyundai Santa Fe Sport gets better fuel economy with its available turbocharged four-cylinder engine than the base Grand Cherokee, and test drivers say this engine has lots of power. The Santa Fe Sport has a bit more cargo space than the Grand Cherokee, and reviewers like its comfortable ride and high-quality cabin.
Details: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee seats five and comes standard with a 3.6-liter V6 engine and an eight-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive is standard, and there are three four-wheel drive systems available. A 3.0-liter diesel engine and a 5.7-liter V8 are available. There are a total of six trim levels, including the Laredo, Laredo E, Limited, Overland, Summit and high-performance Grand Cherokee SRT, which has a 6.4-liter V8. The Grand Cherokee saw its last full redesign in 2011 and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 through the current model year.
Next Steps: Jeep Grand Cherokee
- View the best prices for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
- Search used Jeep Grand Cherokee for sale (17,209 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings