2012 Jeep Liberty Review
If you’re considering the 2012 Jeep Liberty, most reviewers will tell you to cross the Liberty off your shopping list and replace it with the GMC Terrain or Jeep Wrangler. That’s because the Liberty can’t surpass the Equinox’s daily drivability and good fuel economy or the Jeep Wrangler’s exceptional rock-climbing capabilities.
Not all critics are that harsh, and some think the Liberty will satisfy shoppers who are strictly in the market for a competent off-road SUV. “Shoppers who have no plans to venture beyond the pavement will be better served by a crossover SUV,” writes Consumer Guide, “but for those with real wanderlust, Jeep has a truck for you."
Other SUVs to Consider
Like the Liberty, the GMC Terrain has a rugged truck-like exterior that makes it stand out in the class, but that’s where the similarities end. The Terrain has a much smoother, car-like ride, and some of the highest fuel economy ratings in the class, which make the Terrain good for commuting and running errands around town. The Terrain also has comfortable seating for five and plenty of cargo space.
If mountain climbing and boulder crushing abilities are important to you, check out the Jeep Wrangler. This year, the Wrangler has a new V6 engine that makes it more refined on pavement. In exchange for fantastic off-road abilities, you will have to sacrifice fuel economy. The Wrangler’s fuel economy ratings are some of the lowest in the class.
Details: Jeep Liberty
The Liberty is available in three trim levels: Sport, Limited and Limited Jet. Two four-wheel drive systems are available. Command-Trac II is the standard 4WD system, and Selec-Trac II is optional.
For 2012, Uconnect, an infotainment system, is optional on the base model. A universal garage door opener, compass, exterior temperature gauge and rear park assist are also optional. See the full list of 2012 Jeep Liberty specs.
- "This ‘Trail-Rated’ SUV is roomy and surprisingly refined. Jeep calls Liberty one of its ‘traditional’ trucks, as it retains the brand's trademark off-road prowess--unlike the more car-like Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot. " -- Consumer Guide
- "Happily, the Liberty remains one of but a handful of compact SUVs possessing real off-road capability. The bad news: Jeep's Wrangler will do off-road far better, and Jeep's new Grand Cherokee - at least in Laredo trim - isn't a great deal more expensive." -- Kelley Blue Book
- “Just about every rival SUV -- be it a commuter-friendly crossover or a dedicated off-roader -- is a better, more well-rounded vehicle." -- Edmunds
Next Steps: Jeep Liberty
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Jeep Liberty
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Jeep Liberty for sale (3,657 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Jeep Liberty
- See what others paid for the 2012 Jeep Liberty
- View Jeep Liberty Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings