Jeep Patriot Review
The 2014 Jeep Patriot ranks 22 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Jeep Patriot, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Jeep Patriot is ranked:
Reviewers say that the 2014 Jeep Patriot falls short of the competition with its underpowered engines and cheap interior materials.
The Patriot comes standard with a four-cylinder engine, which test drivers say is underpowered, and a five-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic transmission and a more powerful four-cylinder engine are available on all trims, while a continuously variable transmission (CVT) is optional on four-wheel drive models. Reviewers say that acceleration is also sluggish with the more powerful engine, and that there’s inadequate power for passing and merging. Most reviewers prefer the six-speed automatic transmission over the CVT, which they say makes the best use of the engine’s limited power. The 2014 Patriot gets up to 23/30 mpg city/highway, which is comparable with the fuel economy of compact SUVs like the Honda CR-V and Ford Escape. Test drivers agree that the Jeep Patriot doesn't match the sporty handling of many higher-ranking competitors. Some say it feels unstable over bumps and at highway speeds, and that the steering is unresponsive and slow.
Auto writers dislike the hard plastics used throughout the Jeep Patriot’s cabin, saying they feel cheap. However, some reviewers say that while the materials lack quality, the Patriot's interior is functionally designed with straightforward controls. While test drivers find the front seats relatively comfortable and roomy, they say that the back seat doesn’t have enough legroom. The Patriot also has less cargo space than many SUVs in the class. The base trim doesn't come with power windows, power door locks or air conditioning, which come standard on most rivals. Standard features on 2014 Jeep Patriot include a four-speaker stereo with an auxiliary audio jack and a rechargeable LED lamp. Optional features include Bluetooth, a Boston Acoustics stereo system, heated front seats and navigation.
- "The 2014 Jeep Patriot is billed as the best-priced SUV in America. That may be true, but as the old axiom goes, you get what you pay for." -- AutoTrader
- "While most drivers will prefer the better on-road manners and refinement of class competitors such as the Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5, few compact SUVs can match the Patriot's impressive level of off-road prowess. … However, a judiciously optioned Jeep Patriot is a decent choice." -- Consumer Guide
- "But that Sport trim goes without a lot of desirable standard features, such as air-conditioning, power locks and power windows. When adding features like those back in, the Patriot's price becomes similar to those of a much more desirable group of competitors." -- Edmunds
- "The Jeep Patriot is an inexpensive compact crossover that offers above-average off-roading capability for what is, admittedly, a very pavement-bound segment. In other areas, such as fuel economy, interior quality, acceleration and overall refinement, the Patriot lags behind the majority of its competitors." -- Left Lane News
Other SUVs to Consider
If you're looking for ample cargo space and standard all-wheel drive, consider the Subaru Forester. The Forester is highly ranked among affordable compact SUVs, and it impresses reviewers with its powerful turbocharged engine option.
Test drivers love the Mazda CX-5’s sporty driving dynamics, and say its optional 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engine puts out great power without sacrificing much fuel economy. The CX-5 also offers a number of a standard features, including push-button start.
Details: 2014 Jeep Patriot
The 2014 Jeep Patriot seats five and has standard front-wheel drive. A five-speed manual transmission and 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine are standard. A 2.4-liter engine, a CVT and a newly available six-speed automatic transmission are optional. Jeep offers the Patriot with all-wheel drive and four-wheel drive systems, known as Freedom Drive I and Freedom Drive II. The Patriot has three trims: Sport, Latitude and Limited. With the exception of the new optional automatic transmission and newly standard front-side air bags, the Patriot sees few changes for the 2014 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2007 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Jeep Patriot
- View the best prices for the 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Search used Jeep Patriot for sale (4,684 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings